Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part I Noxubee River

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Joe

Re: Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part I Noxubee River

Post by Joe » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:24 am

Larry, silly question- but is hunting allowed in a wildlife refuge?
Joe

Larry Tucei

Re: Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge Part I Noxubee River

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:56 pm

Bob- I have to do an update for you on the Ms Rucker but it is starting to reach the upper 130' range. Jess- You are so right about the diversity, our whole state was cutover in the period from around 1900-1940. I believe most of the southern states were cutover in this way. We have second growth Forest like Noxubee, Delta, Bienville, etc with some remnant of Old growth say over 100-300 years. Most of the trees in these locations are less than 100 and clipping along at a rapid place. I still have trouble with identification of some species and have thought about making a Bark, Leaf photographic catalog for reference. Bitternut- ummm you might be right. I just got back from another Noxubee trip and Delta NF. Wow that Delta is awesome!! Found some really big Oaks and Cypress, posting coming. I think Delta NF is going to be the highest Rucker Index followed by Noxubee NWR and then Tallahala WMA. Delta NF needs more exploring so for now it's Noxubee, Tallahala followed by the Delta NF Joe- Yes hunting is allowed in all but a small section of the refuge. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”