Osage Orange Tree- Maclura pomifera

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Osage Orange Tree- Maclura pomifera

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Sep 06, 2013 3:15 pm

NTS- Traveled to central Ms. this past weekend to help some friends with house building, tractor work, hunting preparations and so forth. One friend is building a house on his property and my other is doing hunting preparation. My friend doing the hunting preparation has 60 acres in Noxubee County with lots of young trees and a some second growth trees. During a long lunch break I had a chance to do a little tree hunting. A nice sized multi-trunk Osage orange grows along a small ridge that flanks Lynn Creek on the northern part of his land. He has some young Black Walnut that I measured to 71', along with Swamp White Oak, White Oak, Post Oak, Cheery bark Oak, Atlantic White Cedar and other tree species to heights to 60-70'. This winter I'll look around in depth and do a more detailed report on the Black Walnut, we don't see much of them here anymore. There were two older Osage orange trees the larger tree had two trunks one was CBH-38" the other 39". I estimated the height to be somewhere between 30 and 35'. I found a couple of its fruit and brought them home for planting. I also went by a neighbor of his and gathered up 10 Walnuts also for planting. Photos of the Osage orange along with fused Hickories, Black Walnut and Atlantic White Cedar. BTW it was 98 degrees at 2 PM on Sat., and 96 degrees on Sunday with good old southern humidity. Not the best times for tree hunting. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maclura_pomifera Larry
Attachments
Strange Person by Osage Orange Tree
Strange Person by Osage Orange Tree
Osage Orange Tree
Osage Orange Tree
Fruit of Osage Orange
Fruit of Osage Orange
Hickories
Hickories
Walnut
Walnut
Cedar