Eastern Red Cedar-Handsboro Ms

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Eastern Red Cedar-Handsboro Ms

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:52 pm

NTS- On Saturday I visited the old Cemetery in Handsboro and measured the three largest Eastern Red Cedars there. The oldest grave stone that I found was 1861 and most are in the late 1800's to early 1900's. Handsboro was a smaller town located in what is now Gulfport back at the turn of the 20th century. Throughout the small Cemetery there is a grove of Cedars that I would estimate are 100 years or more. I've know about these Cedars for several years I just thought I would share them with you. Ocean Springs Ms. has a similar Cemetery also with some larger Eastern Reds- I'll get over there and report on them in a future posting. #1 Cedar- CBH-11' 6", Height-47.7', Spread-57' x 45'. #2 Cedar- CBH-11' 11", Height-41.5' and Spread-36' x 30'. #3 Cedar- CBH-15' 4", Height-47.8' and Spread-72' x 64.5'. #1 is a fused trunk, #2 is a single trunk and #3 is a multi-trunk. I have been quite on the BBS as of late due to the death of my father on the 11 of April. He got Pneumonia and it turned severe but he never was in any pain. I was with him till the end he was 82 and lived a great life. I hope I can be as good a man as he was. It shook me up a lot, tons of good memories but I'm well now and needed to get back into posting. You are my friends so I wanted you all to know! Future tree of the Week Eastern Red Cedar. Larry
Attachments
Handsboro Cemetery
Handsboro Cemetery
Cedar 1
Cedar 1
Cedar 1a
Cedar 1a
Cedar 2
Cedar 2
Cedar 2a
Cedar 2a
Cedar 3
Cedar 3
Cedar 3a
Cedar 3a

dbhguru

Re: Eastern Red Cedar-Handsboro Ms

Post by dbhguru » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:44 pm

Larry,

Our thoughts are with you. The passing of a dear one leaves a hole. In time the hole is covered by fond memories, but that never erases the pain of the loss. Again, our thoughts are with you.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Will Blozan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Larry,

Welcome back and my condolences go out to you and your family. Maybe you could name a tree in his honor?

I love Juniperus of all species which begs the question; are these perhaps J. silicicola? Just a thought as they do need to be differentiated for future tree listings.

Will

Matt Markworth

Post by Matt Markworth » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:28 pm

Larry,

Please accept my condolences, you are in my thoughts.

Yes, Eastern Red Cedar will definitely be a future Tree of the Week, and of course the magnificent Live Oak.

- Matt

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Thanks everyone. Will I looked it up before posting and I think it to be Juniperus virginiana L. I thought at first it may be Juniperus s but after looking in my tree books I believe it to be Juniperus virginiana L. The needle's, cones and bark matched the photos in NAS Field Guide to N A trees. But that was the only guide I had with some photos of the species and I have found books with errors before. I'll do some more reseach. Larry

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:27 pm

Larry,

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. Please accept my condolences.

Jess

Return to “Mississippi”