Cypress Trees Pascagoula Wildlife Management Area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Cypress Trees Pascagoula Wildlife Management Area

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:04 pm

NTS, I went to the Pascagoula River Mgt Area today to measure some of the larger Bald Cypress trees that I reported on in the past, 2008. We have had above avg. rainfall this year and the River is at flood stage. PRWMA is located in Southeastern Ms., containing around 35,000 acres in Jackson, and George Co., Ms. The area spans the River north and south for 25 miles; this is one of the last remote places in Ms. I launched my boat at Parker Lake on Wade Vancleave Road and went north and west for ¼ mile of scouting for larger Cypress into the flooded timber. I managed to locate several larger Cypress but I only measured 6 of them. These Cypress were the exception with CWL at 15’- 20’, CWL- Circumference at water line. This was the first time I have ever measured trees from a boat what a challenge. I shot straight up on them and got really close to the tops maybe slightly lower than the tip top. I also added the depth of the water to the height; I have a depth finder on the boat. The current was steady but I managed, the real tough thing was the Circumference. I had to take my time fastening the tape to the tree then easing around the tree and obstacles. I’ll call them Bald Cypress 1-6 with various photos. #1 CWL-15’, Height-74’+ 10 water depth for a total of 84’, #2 CWL-17’, Height-82.5’ + 10’ water depth total height 92.5’, # 3 CWL- 16’ 6”, Total Height- 88’. This Cypress was hollow and I got some shots from inside. #4 C2’ above WL- 16’, it had a buttress, Total Height- 87.8’, #5 C4’ above WL- 18’, it also had a large buttress, 20’+ CWL, Total Height- 87.5’, the largest Cir. of the 6. This Cypress also had a Bee Colony at 60’ up, way cool! The last Cypress of the day was #6 CWL-17’, Total Height-98’, the tallest of the day. Most of crowns had wind damage from storms in the past so some of them would have been much taller. Larry
Attachments
Parker Lake
Parker Lake
Water Forest
Water Forest
Cypress 1
Cypress 1
Cypress 1
Cypress 1
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 2
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 3
Cypress 4
Cypress 4
Cypress 4
Cypress 4
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 5
Cypress 6
Cypress 6
Cypress 6
Cypress 6
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jamesrobertsmith

Re: Cypress Trees Pascagoula Wildlife Management Area

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:25 am

I recall that right before Hurricane Katrina the timber industry was whining that they should be allowed to go in and cut the timber in the lowlands protecting southern Louisiana and Mississippi. The devastation wrought in part because of the shredding of those forests shut them up for a while. But I have no doubts they'd want to get in there and take down the mature cypress trees to this day.

Larry Tucei

Re: Cypress Trees Pascagoula Wildlife Management Area

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:50 am

James- No doubt. Thankfully the Nature Conservancy controls these Forests and loaned them to the State for Wildlife Mgt and recreation. With strict guidelines, they will never be cut as long as they control it. Hopefully forever. This post is a drop in the bucket from this area. http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/re ... ershed.xml Larry

Return to “Mississippi”