Large Pond and Slash Pine, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Large Pond and Slash Pine, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:49 pm

NTS, I took out my boat today and launched in Bernard Bayou in Gulfport. I traveled east about 2 miles to a point just at the edge of Big Lake which is on the western side of Biloxi Bay near were several Rivers and Bayous converge in this area. The Forest at the point consists of about 100 acres of mixed species and some are starting to get that older growth look to them. On the very northern most point grows the largest Pond Pine that I believe exists in all of south Ms. It is the largest of its kind that I have ever measured with a CBH of 9', Height-72' and Crown Spread- 55.5' x 39'. The top had been blown off probably from Hurricane Katrina but still was an impressive specimen. I spied a nice Live Oak just south and a little west of the Pond Pine and measured it even though I knew it wasn't a 20' CBH. It was a beautiful tree with resurrection fern throughout its limbs which is common. The Live Oak measured 18' 1" just about what I had guessed. I went south and west looking at the many Loblollies, Sweet gum, Slash Pine, Magnolia, Loblolly Bay and Live Oaks just to name a few species. The Loblolly Pines were mostly in the 70-80' range will a few larger ones. I did find a triple of Live Oaks that were tall, one had a CBH of 11' 7"and two had heights to 72' which is very tall for such a narrow trunk, most likely because of being Forest grown. Last but not least I found a Slash Pine that is the largest one that I have ever seen in south Ms. and I've only measured larger ones in Central Ms at Bienville NF. The tree had the top blown out also and had some large Wisteria vines on it. I'm going back and cut them so they stop choking it. I could see damage from the vines so I decided back I'm going back and help it out. The tree measured CBH- 7' 6", Height-81' and Crown Spread- 60' x 45'. I then found another Live Oak that was around 70' tall and a CBH of about 17-18'. Some photos of the largest Pines of their Species in south Ms. and one of the nice Live Oak. http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&tab=wl Larry
Attachments
Pond Pine
Pond Pine
Pond Pine
Pond Pine
Brickyard Bayou Live Oak
Brickyard Bayou Live Oak
Slash Pine
Slash Pine
Slash Pine
Slash Pine

Jess Riddle

Re: Large Pond and Slash Pine, MS

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Jan 22, 2013 6:01 pm

Hi Larry,

How do you separate pond pine from loblolly in the field? I’m going to be spending some time on the coast soon and anticipate seeing both species. Pond pine seems very distinctive when its growing in a pocosin or similar wet habitat, but on more fertile sites where they mix with loblolly they look similar to loblolly. I would have said loblolly for the one in your photo based on the straightness of the trunk, what look like relatively long cones, and the cones being restricted to recent growth. The keys I have use cone length to separate the species, but that can be a little tricky in a mixed stand.

Jess

Return to “Mississippi”