Ms State Champion Magnolia (Single Trunk)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Ms State Champion Magnolia (Single Trunk)

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:22 pm

NTS, Friday after I measured the Meyers Live Oak I went up to the Ms Champion Magnolia for an accurate crown spread measurement and gps coordinates. I've been to this tree many times and yet I'm still in awe of its great size. It's difficult to measure due to a couple of factors- it grows in a small creek bottom on the edge of a hill that makes the spread a tough measurement. I drove a stake in the ground at mid-slope that was 4' high then pulled a straight line to the trunk and went up 6" to get a CBH of 17' 3.5", I then shot the Height a few times and settled on 111', using the sine method. I shot straight up through a small opening in the crown and confirmed the height. I then used stakes to measure the edge of the crown and made a north-south measurement, east-west measurement and a northeast-southwest measurement. The crown spread measurements were NS 61', EW 63' and NE-SW 75'. One bad note people are still carving initials in the trunk and although this is been happening for decades I fear that it will harm the tree someday. This is the largest single trunked Southern Magnolia in the United States that I can confirm. I did research looking for a larger one back in 06 and 08 but I couldn't find one. I have been going to this tree since 1992. Larry
Attachments
Ms State Champion Magnolia 2.jpg
mag_mergb.jpg

Will Blozan

Re: Ms State Champion Magnolia (Single Trunk)

Post by Will Blozan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:35 pm

Larry,

What a beast! The tree ain't bad either.

Will

jamesrobertsmith

Post by jamesrobertsmith » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Holy crap!!! What a monster!

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:09 am

What a magnolia, regarding the carving; people love trees and love to do things to them often there love and exuberance kill the object of their affection. Some part of that carving is based on an affinity with the tree, though obviously ignorance plays a role here. As always, I see a part of myself in the destructive impulses regarding the trees. Interestingly both loggers and arborists who are probably the most frequent posters here have a great ambivalence regarding trees. I justify my canopy walkway building by noting that I steer any construction away from the largest most impressive trees, but if I had my druthers I would never build anything in a tree. On the other hand I could not afford to go to the Amazon and search for the most magnificent trees. I do think that familiarity usually does not breed contempt and if anyone read the Golden Spruce, we can see this ambivalence in it's most revealing form here. Of course not just ambivalence, but a repudiation of past behavior. Sorry to leave folks hanging, but you do need to read the book if you have not. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... Id=4679760

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Sun Jan 20, 2013 2:46 pm

Larry,

I love finding out about an individual tree that changes the way I think about a species. I don’t think I’ve ever viewed southern magnolia quite the same since you posted about this tree. That whole tree shot is so impressive.

Jess

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:46 pm

This tree is simply amazing. So stout and so tall! I bet it's near 2,000 cubes! I'd love to see it in person one day.

Return to “Mississippi”