Mississippi Tall Tree Listing

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Mississippi Tall Tree Listing

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

NTS, Hi all. I recently put together a list of the tallest trees from Ms. that I have measured with NTS standards. The listing contains the tallest of each species at different locations. Bob I have been meaning to get this for the past couple of years. I also in the near future will put more listings together form Ala, Fla., La., and Wisconsin. Larry
Attachments
Mississippi_Tree_Listing.xlsx
Ms Tall Tree Listing
(14.12 KiB) Downloaded 77 times

Jess Riddle

Re: Mississippi Tall Tree Listing

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:38 pm

Hi Larry,

Lists like the one you’ve put together are really helpful. They are a quick way for any visiting measurer to know how tall a tree needs to be to be worth taking the time to measure, and they help us compare trees across different parts of their ranges. Looking at the list, a couple of unusual things jumped out at me. Shellbark hickory is rare, only a handful of sites, in Mississippi, so I was surprised you had one. Did you visit the site specifically to see that species? The distribution of heights overall seems odd. There are eight 120’ trees, but no 119’ trees, and the tallest trees increase by three foot increments. Any idea what’s going on there? Anyway, having this list should make compiling national lists much easier.

Jess

Larry Tucei

Re: Mississippi Tall Tree Listing

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:01 pm

Jess, I thought I have found Shellbark in more than one location in Ms. Bienville NF, Tombigbee NF both contain this species and possibly at Delta NF to. The next time I get on one I'll make sure to get more evidence for you photos and leaves, nuts. As for the heights I don't know why. Perhaps I'm careless with some calculations.

Return to “Mississippi”