Loblolly Pines Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Loblolly Pines Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:44 pm

NTS, I spent four days the week after Christmas hunting on NWNR and looking for big trees. The Noxubee, Octoc and other rivers were all out of their banks due to the heavy rains we have been receiving throughout this winter. I was not able to get into the area were the largest hardwoods were located so I stayed in the hills on the western side of the refuge. The 42,000 acre refuge contains some of the largest and tallest trees in the state of Ms. Most of the trees were I was in the 120' tall range and less than 8' CBH. The Forest mostly contains Loblolly Pine with White Oak, Shumard Red, Southern Red, Pin, and Northern Red Oak, Hickory, Sweet Gum, and Tulip Poplar mixed. I found witches broom in a Loblolly so I'll post a shot of it. The Loblolly Pine in the photos are as follows , 1. CBH- 9' 7", H- 108', 2. CBH- 10' 4", H- 117' and 3. CBH- 10' 10", H- 129'. I also did one larger White Oak in the last photos CBH- 10' 7", H-93'. Although these were not the tallest Loblolly's I've measured which was 138' tall in Noxubee in 2010, the 10' 10" turns out to be the largest CBH to date in the state that I have. The 9-11' CBH range is the largest I have found in the last several years of research. It may be possible to find some with larger in Bienville, Desoto or Homochitto National Forests of Ms. that remains to be seen. Larry
Attachments
Witches Broom
Witches Broom
1st Loblolly
1st Loblolly
2nd Loblolly Pine
2nd Loblolly Pine
Loblolly Pine CBH 10' 10" H- 129'
Loblolly Pine CBH 10' 10" H- 129'
Loblolly Pine 3 a.jpg
White Oak
White Oak
White Oak 2.jpg

eliahd24

Re: Loblolly Pines Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge

Post by eliahd24 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:02 pm

Whoa those Loblollies are some fatties Larry! I've only found a handful over 9' cbh in Atlanta and 2 over 10' (I think both were open grown, so short and fat). Nice job and good shots. BTW- the Atlanta champion Loblolly is 9'6" x 142' and about 170 years old (I cored some of its neighbors).

Larry Tucei

Re: Loblolly Pines Noxubee National Wildlife Refuge, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks Eli, Most of the trees in Noxubee are only about 80-85 perhaps a few maybe around 100, like the White Oak in the one photo. Only some of the Cypress would be much older. I should get a coring tool to check some of the biggest Pines I find. I've been wanting one for the last few years. Larry

Chris

Post by Chris » Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:30 am

Are they doing anything with Red-cockaded Woodpecker in that part of the refuge? Around the HQ, they were actively "thinning" and making artificial nest holes [well, when I passed through in 2010), but I don't remember any of the Loblollies big as big as those guys. Nice!

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:06 am

Chris, I talked to one of the game wardens about who decides when, where and why the timber is cut. He told me the main objective for the refuge was to make habitat for Ducks and Birds. I know they make nests for the Woodpecker and Wood Ducks. The area Manager would be the one to contact for details. I would like to get someone in our stupid Govt. to get involved and protect the timber from future cutting. They should only cut timber when a Tornado, Beetle infestation etc. comes through. I think our Govt. has enough of mine and your money to run these places and plenty more! The trees here in another 50-100 years would be similar to Congaree. These Refuges and National Forests in our country belong to the people for recreation and its time the idiots in charge wake up and protect these special places before they are no more!!!! My goal is to become more involved in my state to help make this happen. Hell I'm starting to sound like Joe and Bob!!! Haahhahahah! Larry

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:04 am

Larry,

We understand your frustrations with respect to governmental forest priorities. Wildlife management is the cover used by timber professionals to keep forests young and shrubby. Wildlife habitat is used to justify clear-cutting. I see this mindset throughout New England. Early successional habitat is the supposed route to "healthier" forests. In actuality, it creates corridors for invasive plants to take over. The Quabbin Reservoir in central Massachusetts is a prime example. Here or elsewhere, the result is usually the same, first shrubs followed by pencil-sized trees - boring, boring, boring.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Chris

Post by Chris » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:39 am

I think you guys misunderstood. Red-cockaded Woodpeckers lived (previously) in open, old-growth pine savanna in the south,. By thinning, I mean they are cutting down the various hardwoods that have grown up in the absence of fires and try to recreate some of the structure of those forest. That is what I was talking about.

However, when I started to search for the refuge's Comprehensive Conservation Plan (CCP) to determine what there rules for logging where, I found that the FWS had a lawsuit filed against it on January 5, 2012 for logging on the refuge. However, it seems in December they reached an agreement to stop logging for now and have gotten a new refuge manager.

I can't recall how many times in the past you have measured there and what you have found, but it would be useful to those in management to know what is there.... because they probably don't. FWS is constantly short of funds/budget. At the least, the friends group for the refuge would be useful to contact.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:09 pm

Chris, The Noxubee Refuge Forest would have been mostly Hardwood with some Pine mixed. The Red-cockaded Woodpeckers preferred Long Leaf Pine for their habitat. Noxubee floodplain would not have contained much LL. The Noxubee area would have been in the LL northern most range and I think the Forest Service made many mistakes back in the 1930's with the wrong choice of Mgt. I guess the managers tried to create habitat for the woodpecker as best they could with Loblolly. It is a smoke screen like Bob would say to harvest timber. I think it is great that they have a new manager who is a Biologist. Wow I never would have thought that they would stop the harvest of timber and let the public get involved it’s about time! Kudos to all involve on that one!!!!http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry ... pecker.htm http://www.auburn.edu/academic/forestry ... ngemap.htm Larry

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:05 pm

Update- just yesterday I found a new co-champion loblolly at an old Civil War site (now city park) in Atlanta. It's a whopper. 10'6" cbh x 125' tall (not sure I even hit the top). 70+ foot spread too. Pretty stellar.
Loblolly_Atlanta Memorial Park_2013
Loblolly_Atlanta Memorial Park_2013

Return to “Mississippi”