Gautier Ms. Old Place Plantation Oak

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Gautier Ms. Old Place Plantation Oak

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:42 pm

NTS, The 1st annual antique fair was held at the Old Place in Gautier on Sunday March 11. The Old Place Plantation was the home of Fernando Upton Gautier who in 1867 had a thriving lumber business here. The Plantation is located on a ridge 12-15’ above the West Pascagoula River approx. 800’ in length. It is the only remaining Plantation in the city. The home was built in French style from that period with a wraparound porch on three sides. The 21 acre property has approx. 100 Live Oaks in the 100-150 year old range with two trees approaching 200. One of the two had major limb damage and was but a shadow of its former self. The damaged tree had a large trunk of 20’ CBH but limbs sheared off at 15’ above ground level. I measured the other large tree and named it the Gautier Plantation Oak. The tree grows on the northeastern corner of the property about 100’ from the river. Its measurements were CBH-20’ 10”, Height-57’ and Spread- 110’ x 105’. A smaller Live Oak on the listing but still a big tree. Lets look at the tree and the house with a nice Azalea added to. There was also a cypress bench placed between two Live Oak trunks on a clump of 4 and the trees had grown over it time. Larry
Attachments
Gautier Plantation Oak
Gautier Plantation Oak
Gautier Plantation Oak 2.jpg
Gautier Plantation Oak 3.jpg
Gautier Plantation Home.jpg
Big Azalea.jpg
Azalea And Live Oak.jpg
Bench in Live Oak Trunks
Bench in Live Oak Trunks

edfrank

Re: Gautier Ms. Old Place Plantation Oak

Post by edfrank » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Very nice Larry. We are still in the midst of our non-winter, but the trees have yet to bud out, let alone time for the Azaleas to bloom.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:59 am

Ed, Thanks. We have had a mild winter and early spring. Every tree in my region leafed out a couple of weeks ago except Pecan, Hickories and Cypress. Flowers are everywhere and have been out since late Feb. Late

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:48 am

Larry,

That's two more over 20 CBH. What's the total count now? Gorgeous azaleas.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

pdbrandt

Post by pdbrandt » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:12 pm

Larry,

That is a great oak. Thanks for the pictures.

Patrick
Patrick

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:50 pm

Bob, 201. I know of a few more in Ms. that I haven't measured yet in the 20'+ CBH range and many more from Louisiana coming in the future. Someday I will reach 300. Patrick, Your welcome it's my pleasure. I hope to measure some whoppers later this spring-25'+ CBH. Larry

ElijahW

Post by ElijahW » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:45 am

Larry,

I drove through east Texas and western Louisiana a couple of days ago, and the cypresses mostly had leafed out west of the Sabine River, but not east of it. Nice job on another live oak. Congrats.

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks

eliahd24

Post by eliahd24 » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I like that bench between the trunks- way cool! Good job as always Larry.

Return to “Mississippi”