Sand Live Oak-Quercus geminata vrs Live Oak Quercus virg.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Sand Live Oak-Quercus geminata vrs Live Oak Quercus virg.

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:13 pm

NTS, There are many Sand Live Oaks growing in Coastal Ms. The tree that I measured today grows in Gulfport on Teagarden Rd. The photos show two Sands near each other I measured the largest of the two trees. Whats cool about this tree is that right across the road grows a Live Oak which gives you a good visual on the differences of the two species. Live Oaks all over the Coast are in the process of renewing their leaves while Sand Live Oaks are not. Notice the full dark green leaves on the Sand verses the new growth on the Live in the one photo. This is the largest Sand Live Oak that I have measured to date. CBH- 10' 5", Height-48' and Spread less than 50'. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_geminata Larry
Attachments
Quercus g. and Quercus v.
Quercus g. and Quercus v.
Quercus geminata
Quercus geminata
Quercus v.
Quercus v.
Quercus g.
Quercus g.
Quercus g. bark
Quercus g. bark
Quercus g. leaves
Quercus g. leaves

Steve Galehouse

Re: Sand Live Oak-Quercus geminata vrs Live Oak Quercus virg

Post by Steve Galehouse » Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:57 pm

Larry-

That's a great observation. The sand oaks must shed their older leaves after the new growth has fully expanded. Is there a difference in their winter hardiness?

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:34 pm

Steve, Thanks, I thought it was a neat comparison. They shed leaves 2-3 weeks later than Live Oak and cold tolerance is about the same. http://www.floridata.com/ref/q/quer_gem.cfm Larry

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:53 pm

Larry, very interesting! Is there an "obvious" way to tell them apart based on leaves/bark/acorns?

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:06 am

Chris, The leaves are smaller and curl inward. The acorns tend to be a darker color and the bark is more furrowed looking. The Sand Oak is a much smaller tree than the Live Oak although they can become quite large. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”