Bienville National Forest-Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

Re: Bienville National Forest-Tallahala Wildlife Mgt Area

Post by edfrank » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:11 am

Larry,

Keep on the look out for Ivory Billed Woodpeckers. Marcus posted this sighting on Facebook:
ivory.jpg
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:21 am

Ed, That's good! Ya know I see Pilated, Red Cockaded, Flickers, Downy, etc., It's been reported that the Ivory Bill does exist but I've never seen one. It would be awesome to find a pocket of Forest with them nesting. Larry
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris

Post by Chris » Sun Dec 18, 2011 5:46 pm

I recall being in the area and seeing the Bienville Scenic Pines Area [shame there is a forest service work center in the middle] and Harrell Prairie. Lots of diversity in the area.
Larry Tucei wrote:Jess, You know It may be a Turkey Oak or Black Oak. I looked at the range map also and did notice that the Pin Oak was more north and east. Sometimes I have trouble with identifying some sprecies. I did look at some leaves on the ground around the tree but it's still difficult to ID them. Red Oak leaves can be so similar sometimes. With the trees able to cross pollinate that doesn't help me either. Thanks for that way cool link.
I would think Black Oak more likely than Turkey based on size [American Forest has the 'champion' as only 65 ft] and location [normally sandy soils in upland pine forest]. Of course Black Oak is also, in my mind, a dry site species. Perhaps as you suggest, a cross of some more lowland species?

Return to “Mississippi”