Live Oak Tree in my yard, MS

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Live Oak Tree in my yard, MS

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:08 pm

ENTS, I climbed a young Live Oak in my yard (45-50 Years) yesterday to get the the perspective of my backyard from the trees view. The first photo shows the crown split typical with Live Oak at 12'. The second photo is my backyard from 24' up the tree. The tree in the left is a Darlington Oak 63' High. Larry
Attachments
Crown split at 12'
Crown split at 12'
My backyard from 24' up a Live Oak
My backyard from 24' up a Live Oak

James Parton

Re: Live Oak Tree in my yard

Post by James Parton » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:05 pm

Larry,

What are the measurements of your Live Oak?

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:41 pm

James, The Live Oak in my yard measures CBH-9'5", Height-54' and Spread-63' x 84'. A fast growing tree indeed! Larry

Steve Galehouse

Post by Steve Galehouse » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:18 pm

Larry-

What do you think are the chances of being able to grow either live or Darlington oak up here in the Cleveland area?--I have southern magnolia, winter jasmine, and common fig in my yard, and I know of a specimen of longleaf pine in the area. Is live oak or Darlington oak as hardy as southern magnolia?

Steve
every plant is native somewhere

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:28 pm

Steve, Possibly, I'm not really sure. 10 degrees is the minimum for those Oaks. I've dug up trees from the north and planted them here. After a few years the heat and humidity takes its toll on them. I once brought a Blue Spruce from Colorado and kept it for 3 years. I also had some Balsom Fir and Spruce from Wisconsin that lasted about the same time frame. It would interesting to see if a Darlington, Live Oak would adapt to your climate. That would be way cool. I have 3 White Pine that I dug up in Wisconsin in Nov., so far there doing okay. But when our heat and humidity cranks up northern trees seem to fail. Will a little TLC maybe I can get one to adapt to South Ms. Larry

Return to “Mississippi”