Noxubee Part 3 Oktoc Creek

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee Part 3 Oktoc Creek

Post by Larry Tucei » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:50 pm

ENTS, On my next visit to NNWR I explored along and around Oktoc Creek located on the eastern edge of the refuge. It is south of the Trail of Big Trees where I reported from a couple of years ago. I crossed over on a small bridge and followed a trail east along the north side of the creek. There are numerous Red Oaks, Willow Oaks, Cypress, Sweet gums, Over cup Oaks, Swamp Chestnut Oaks, etc., in the 120’ range along Oktoc. I also measured a Persimmon, and saw some nice Shagbark Hickory. At one point the water was so low I was able to go down into it and measured a nice Cypress, CBH-18’ 4”, Height-93’, and a Cypress Knee to 6’ 7”, my tallest to date. After spending an hour or two here I decided to head back and go along the western side of the bridge. The terrain here was much different with a small ridge that followed the creek for several hundreds of yards. I saw numerous Oaks, Cypress, Hickory, Pines, Persimmon, Hornbeam, and Holly, some Oak and Pines in the 120’ range. I measured a nice Cherry bark Oak to CBH-12’2”, Height-120, Shagbark, CBH-5' 4", Height-96', Over cup Oak, CBH-11’ 7” Height-112’, Holly CBH-3’8”, Height-66’ a best for me, Persimmon, CBH-4’2”, Height-90’, another best and a Hornbeam, CBH-3’4”, Height-45’ another best! On the way out I found a young grove of Tulips on the ridge top south of the creek. A very pristine place as is most of the refuge with many large trees and wildlife. Lat and Long N 33 15.837 W 88 44.195. Larry
Attachments
Tulips
Tulips
Young Tulips
Young Tulips
Shagbark Nuts
Shagbark Nuts
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Shagbark
Persimmon
Persimmon
Persimmon
Persimmon
Overcup 2
Overcup 2
Overcup
Overcup
Oktoc Creek
Oktoc Creek
Hornbeam
Hornbeam
Hornbeam
Hornbeam
Holly
Holly
Holly
Holly
Cypress in Creek
Cypress in Creek
Cypress and Knee
Cypress and Knee
Leaves
Leaves
Cherry Bark 2
Cherry Bark 2
Cherry Bark
Cherry Bark

Rand

Re: Noxubee Part 3 Oktoc Creek

Post by Rand » Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:59 pm

Why yes, they do have shagbark hickory in mississippi (and good gumbo too).

Jimmy McDonald

Post by Jimmy McDonald » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 am

I better wear orange next time I go looking for trees in Mississippi.

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:07 am

Larry,

Awesome dude!

The 6' 7" cypress knee is huge! That 66 ft tall holly caught my eye too. Very nice!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Return to “Mississippi”