Noxubee NWR Part II

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Larry Tucei

Noxubee NWR Part II

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:37 pm

ENTS, The following day on the 28th of Dec., I decided to measure some Trees on the Noxubee River East of Bluff Lake. The road in is lined on both sides with tall Loblolly's with Oak, Sweet Gum, White Oak, Swamp Chestnut Oak, Water Oak, Nuttall Oak, Shumard Red Oak, and Southern Red Oak mixed in. This road goes in about 2 miles and at the end is the Trail of Big Trees where I reported on back in 09. I only walked in about a half. The Oaks, Cypress dominate along and around the River with small Pine ridges mixed in. I only measured 9 trees of 5 species, Loblolly Pine, Nutall Oak, Overcup Oak, Sycamore, and Tulip. It was 19 that morning so I moved around a lot, walking along the River enjoying the serenity. The tallest Loblolly of the day was 138' and new Ms., height record for me. Another big surprise was a 132' Nutall Oak, with a huge crown, 90' x 96’, which is another record for me. My last find of the day was a huge Tulip, Bob, 132', another record for me in Ms. It was one of only a handful of Tulips that I found. I also measured a Cypress knee 4' 3" near a small lake on the west side for you James. The water was low and I was able to walk around and into the lake. I spent about 4 hours measuring and photographing before I returned to my truck. Here are some photos and a listing of my finds during my 2 days of measuring. Noxubee is a special place and so diverse I hope it remains so for many years. Larry
Attachments
Noxubee Rucker Index.xlsx
Noxubee Listing
(10.24 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
Loblolly Pine
Loblolly Pine
LL Pine
LL Pine
LL
LL
Nuttall Oak
Nuttall Oak
Nuttal
Nuttal
Nuttall
Nuttall
Overcup Oak
Overcup Oak
Overcup
Overcup
Overcup Oak
Overcup Oak
Sycamore
Sycamore
Sycamore
Sycamore
Sycamore
Sycamore
Cypress Knee
Cypress Knee
Tulip
Tulip
NoxubeeHuntMapSide09.pdf
Map of NNWR
(208.85 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by Larry Tucei on Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

dbhguru

Re: Noxubee NWR Part II

Post by dbhguru » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:53 pm

Larry,

Excellent report. Impressive. WThankd. Loved the photos also. Were there many tuliptrees? If so, would it be possible to get measurements of 4 more. Neil Pederson is looking for the top 5 at a site. Your site could be a very valuable data point.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:02 am

Awesome report, Larry! and those cypress knees are great. I like to call them " Swamp Stalagmites "!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:52 am

Bob, I didn't see alot of Tulip but I'm sure I could find 4 more. Noxubee is 250 miles from me so its a two-three day trip. I usually go up once a year, perhaps I can return late in Jan. or Feb. The Pascagoula WMA should have some. Would he be interested at that site? Larry

Return to “Mississippi”