St. Cloud MN Ash

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jimmy McDonald

St. Cloud MN Ash

Post by Jimmy McDonald » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:18 pm

One of my friends knows that I'm interested in trees so he wanted to show me a tree. It ended up being a Silver Maple that was 17'8". A nice size Silver Maple but not uncommon along the Mississippi area. Just before we were about to leave we had to stop and pick up a few things in the same area. When we stopped I started to look around and noticed the top of quite a nice Ash tree. I got out to take a look and I was pleasantly surprised. 12'7" cbh and such a beautiful shape. We cam for one tree and found another.
Attachments
IMG_2663.JPG
IMG_2662.JPG
IMG_2660.JPG
IMG_2659.JPG

Larry Tucei

Re: St. Cloud MN Ash

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:14 am

Hi Jimmy- Very respectable Ash tree. Where is the snow Mn is famous for? Hopefully the Emerald Ash Borer won't get those trees. Seen any Chestnut trees around that area? Larry

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:09 pm

nice, right next to a house- I presume that's a house
Joe

Jimmy McDonald

Post by Jimmy McDonald » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:35 pm

That Picture is from October I believe. We actually have had an average winter this year. Probably two feet of snow on the ground right now and a few different times we've had low temps before wind chill aroud -20 F in St. Cloud.

Chestnuts are not listed in the MN Big Tree Registry which lists only native to MN species. I'm not sure on the historical range of chestnuts either. I do remember growing up that a neighbor had a tree I would climb and take Chestnuts out of it and there was also a tree in town that I was amazed to find as a kid because the size of the chestnut's bur(I think thats what it is called) and the bur would have like 7 or eight individual nuts in there. We just called them chestnuts I'm not sure what type they were. I'm an amatuer.

Thats actually a large deck/ viewing platorm that looks down toward the Mississippi River.

Return to “Minnesota”