Costa Rica: Guardians of Water: giants hidden in the river w

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Costa Rica: Guardians of Water: giants hidden in the riv

Postby Jeremy Quirós » Mon May 01, 2017 11:08 am

Hi Erick,

Yes we (Bart and I) hope to find an over that 70 meters elm, it could be, i saw yesterday big elms in Tapanti National Park that could be easily tallest than the ones i've posted. Of course, amphibians are  a very important group for us. In fact we are in a proyect of Vibicaria Frog Conservation (Lithobates vibicarius) that actually it is in a critical danger of extinction, only populations in Monteverde and Juan Castro Blanco National Park are living today. And of course for me it would be an honor to measure trees with you. Here we will wait for you.
Jeremy Quirós

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 7 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Costa Rica: Guardians of Water: giants hidden in the riv

Postby ElijahW » Tue May 02, 2017 9:48 pm

Jeremy,

Welcome to the group and thanks for highlighting this extraordinary species.  Are any other elm species native to your area?  

NTS,

What would be the second-tallest elm?  In the US, rubra and americana can reach 140' (40 meters+), correct?  Are similar heights attainable for glabra or parvifolia?  Does anyone have good info on other Asian elm species?

Elijah
"There is nothing in the world to equal the forest as nature made it. The finest formal forest, the most magnificent artificially grown woods, cannot compare with the grandeur of primeval woodland." Bob Marshall, Recreational Limitations to Silviculture in the Adirondacks
ElijahW

Has Liked: 209 times
Has Been Liked: 255 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Costa Rica: Guardians of Water: giants hidden in the riv

Postby Bart Bouricius » Tue May 23, 2017 11:40 am

As Jeremy knows, there is only one elm "Ulmus" species this far South.  I will add that there are about 14 oak species here , one quite large Alder Alnus acuminata and a huge Sweet Gum that makes it only as far South as Honduras, and possibly Northern Nicaragua.  Also Costa Rica has a few Magnolias.  Most of these various species migrated down the mountain chains from North America, and only a hand full are found at sea level.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 298 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Central America