Costa Rica: Astounding high altitude "Grandfather Oak"

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#31)  Re: Costa Rica: Astounding high altitude "Grandfather Oak"

Postby Bart Bouricius » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:02 pm

Lucas,

Thanks I found and fixed the Tropicos.org typo.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 103 times
Has Been Liked: 293 times
Print view this post

#32)  Re: Costa Rica: Astounding high altitude "Grandfather Oak"

Postby Bart Bouricius » Fri Apr 07, 2017 4:38 pm

Lucas,

I am not surprised that you were confused, as there was a temporary problem on the Tropicos.com site where using Quercus costaricensis in the name search was not coming up with proper results.  I have never seen this happen before, but now it is fixed and does give Q. costaricensis as the accepted name for the species.  Encino Negro, or Roble Negro, are also common vernacular names for this species, and are probably better than just Encino, as this name is also commonly applied to Quercus insignis as well.   Additionally, it is useful to know that both Encino and Roble are simply two words meaning oak.  Any confusion on your part was totally justified and due to peculiar and presumably rare circumstances at the site.  There is also always some inevitable confusion related to use of common names, which may be used for a number of unrelated species that have some common characteristic, or occasionally for all members of a genus for example, and Tropicos has very little data on common names, probably because it covers many species that range through several countries, each with a different name for a given tree species.  Sorry for rambling.
Last edited by Bart Bouricius on Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

For this message the author Bart Bouricius has received Likes :
AndrewJoslin
Bart Bouricius

Print view this post

#33)  Re: Costa Rica: Astounding high altitude "Grandfather Oak"

Postby Lucas » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:28 pm

Thx for clearing that up.

FYI  On another note  I saw this on FB

http://Rarepalmseeds.com/index2.shtml

New to me site

"I took a risk and ordered Q.humboldtii acorns from rarepalmseeds. Very interesting, acorns vary in size. I hope they made mistakes collecting acorns, so maybe it's multiple species" web contact

I assume CR oak seeds are available somewhere else, too.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 120 times
Print view this post

#34)  Re: Costa Rica: Astounding high altitude "Grandfather Oak"

Postby Bart Bouricius » Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:29 pm

Lucas,

I am back in the US now till probably sometime in August, but if I am reminded I can ask around about other seed sources when I am back in Costa Rico, or if you send me a private note, I can connect you with a young Costa Rican dendrologist friend who might know.
Bart Bouricius

Print view this post

Previous

Return to Central America