Panama back pack expedition, provides new tree size records

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#31)  Re: Panama back pack expedition, provides new tree size reco

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Feb 03, 2017 11:45 pm

Bart-  Yes I think it was around 70' a very young tree also. 150 years approx. Good to see your posts again. I really enjoy your stuff. Keep it coming.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 669 times
Has Been Liked: 575 times
Print view this post

#32)  Re: Panama back pack expedition, provides new tree size reco

Postby Bart Bouricius » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:03 pm

Larry,

Here is how a typical young forest grown Kapok Ceiba pentandra looks.  This tree is from our municipal forest and I would estimate its age at between 60 and 80 years max.  It is a little over 16' (4.88 m) in circumference at 8' (2.44 m) high. it is closer to 15' circ. just above the small buttresses.  This bottle shape is typical of smaller trees in a forest environment.    It is roughly 98' (29.9 m) tall and it is growing on a ridge with only moderate competition, or it would certainly be taller. I think comparing this tree with the image you provided illustrates really well the drastic difference in growth form produced by the natural vs man made environments.  I have noticed several open grown kapoks that had essentially no trunk, as the buttresses just meet the the first major limbs.  Such a form can not even get any legitimate circumference measurement at all CBH or ABC.  Here are 2 links to images of these distorted trees.  For some reason you have to scroll down to the page bottom in the second link:
http://www.123countries.com/wp-content/ ... k-Tree.jpg

http://benjaminheimshepard.blogspot.com ... ummer.html

DSCN0018.JPG

My son Zach and Municipal Park kapok

DSCN0019.JPG

up View of same Munuicipal Park kapok

Last edited by Bart Bouricius on Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 295 times
Print view this post

#33)  Re: Panama back pack expedition, provides new tree size reco

Postby Larry Tucei » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:42 pm

Bart-   Great comparison of the two Kapoks mine in the city and yours in a natural environment. So much concrete, asphalt, noise, pollution, etc  really slows down a trees growth.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 669 times
Has Been Liked: 575 times
Print view this post

#34)  Re: Panama back pack expedition, provides new tree size reco

Postby Bart Bouricius » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Larry,

Yes, but probably even more important is that these trees are genetically programmed to grow like crazy and out compete other trees, then spread out with a crown that can, on occasion, reach over 200' (61 m) across.  If there is no competition, well, the tree behaves as if it has reached the canopy, and puts all its energy into crown spread and growing buttresses, instead of getting taller. I have heard that In Africa, where the Kapok trees were imported at least 300 years ago, supposedly they get a bit taller, because there are taller canopies in certain African forests.  Again, they are programmed to out compete other trees in height and, according to some sources, they still can in this  different environment.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 295 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Central America