Iceland's Dramatic Landscape

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Lucas

Re: Iceland's Dramatic Landscape

Post by Lucas » Sat Oct 28, 2017 1:34 pm

Apparently, they tried Am. Chestnut there once for a refugium reserve.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir

jclarke

Post by jclarke » Sun Oct 29, 2017 7:20 am

Yah, they did. One fall was extra cold and cloudy and the trees didn't put up enough reserves to winter. They didn't leaf that following spring. It's a bit of a southern species for that location.

The American Chestnut Foundation furnished New York seedlots, hoping they might do well, as they were coast adapted. They tried some from NY mountains too, for their cold hardiness, but the winters are presently too long. The summer/fall sun is weaker there too, less energy to store away carbs for the winter.

Surprisingly enough, there are some in Estonia, from the Perkins House seedlot.

Jocelyn

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:54 pm

"The landscape of Iceland has changed a lot in a thousand years. When the Vikings first arrived in the ninth century, the land was covered in 25 to 40 percent forest."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnRNdbqXu1I
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Don

Post by Don » Sun Oct 14, 2018 5:43 pm

PA Wild...
I will be accompanying my better half next spring/summer as she travels to Iceland (5 months) on a Fulbright grant...we've explored the West Half, do you have recommendations for the East half?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

PAwildernessadvocate

Post by PAwildernessadvocate » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:09 pm

Don wrote:PA Wild...
I will be accompanying my better half next spring/summer as she travels to Iceland (5 months) on a Fulbright grant...we've explored the West Half, do you have recommendations for the East half?
-Don
Don,

Lucky you! What a great chance of a lifetime. Unfortunately I don't have any recommendations as I have never been to Iceland.

But it is definitely on my bucket list. And I even think about it as a place I'd consider permanently relocating to (along with the Faroe Islands).

Have a great trip! Please post some pictures!
"There is no better way to save biodiversity than by preserving habitat, and no better habitat, species for species, than wilderness." --Edward O. Wilson

Return to “Iceland”