Rain Tree, U. S. Virgin Islands

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

pdbrandt

Rain Tree, U. S. Virgin Islands

Post by pdbrandt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:31 pm

Will,

It sounds like you had a great adventure in Alaska. Thanks for posting the pictures. All good trips include trees in my mind.
dbhguru wrote: Our Hawaii and Alaska explorations make me wonder what is on Puerto Rico and other far flung American possessions.

Bob
I will be in Puerto Rico next month on business and may have some time to measure trees on the northeast side of the island. I'm hoping to get away for a couple of hours to explore El Yunque National Forest. Does anyone know of other areas of arboreal interest in the NE quadrant of Puerto Rico?

Here are a couple pictures of a monster Rain Tree (Albizia saman) I located on a trip to the US Virgin Islands. I didn't have any means of measurement with me on that trip so I don't have any stats on the rain tree.
DSCN1402.JPG
DSCN1409.JPG
DSCN1418.JPG
Patrick

pdbrandt

Re: Patrick's First for Puerto Rico

Post by pdbrandt » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:02 pm

dbhguru wrote:Patrick,

From photographic analysis, I think we can conclude that the Rain Tree is around 18.5 feet in girth at breast height. At this point, you hold the record for a tree in Puerto Rico. Congrats.

Bob
Wow that was easy, Bob :) Actually the rain tree is on St John Island in the US Virgin Islands. More precisely it is off North Shore Rd in Virgin Island National Park at Cinnamon Bay.
Patrick

edfrank

Re: Rain Tree, U. S. Virgin Islands

Post by edfrank » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:21 pm

Patrick and Bob,

As perhaps you have, or have not, noticed I copied Patrick's post to a different section as a new topic. I also merged your post into this new topic. I felt it was better to consider the Caribbean Islands as a distinct unit rather than pulling parts out to go with the US, with Central America, or with South America.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:29 pm

Patrick,

From photographic analysis, I think we can conclude that the Rain Tree is around 18.5 feet in girth at breast height. At this point, you hold the record for a tree in Puerto Rico. Congrats.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Bart Bouricius

Post by Bart Bouricius » Sun Jan 06, 2013 4:37 pm

Patrick,

Regarding your trip to Puerto Rico, I did spend some time at El Verde Research Station studying arachnids and ants in the trees. The field station is adjacent to El Yunque and does have some impressive trees, but you need to find the most protected locations because hurricanes have done a number on the Island in recent years. You will find some substantial girths, but it is difficult to find really tall trees because of the storms. If you look in the deepest ravines in El Yunque you might have the best luck. There were some trails going down from a visitor station and snack bar that, as I recall had some decent sized trees. There are a few old Ceiba trees in parks and such, but though they have very large girths, they are greatly distorted from having grown up with no competition and have little resemblance to their magnificent tall counterparts in the natural environment. Any of the dry forest preserves around the island have cool though not immense trees as well.

Return to “Caribbean Islands”