'Leverett Dashboard' for Michigan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DougBidlack

Re: 'Leverett Dashboard' for Michigan

Post by DougBidlack » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Larry,

awesome! I'm looking forward to your Mississippi list (and the other southeastern states too) and regarding the Colorado list you bring up an important topic: historic vs contemporary measurements. I actually prefer the historic numbers as long as we know the measurements are good and we certainly know that is the case with the work that you guys did in southwestern Colorado. That doesn't mean that I don't value such a list of trees only for ones that we know or believe to still be living. I would never say that and I think that such lists would also be very valuable. Now that you brought up the issue there are several other possibilities as well including:
Lists that include non-native species vs those that do not
Lists that include natural hybrids vs those that do not
Lists that include species that may or may not be separate/distinct from another species (like heartleaf birch vs paper birch)
I'm sure there are several other possibilities but I'll stop here for now. My Michigan list includes historic and hybrid trees and perhaps some feel that red hickory is not distinct from pignut hickory. I originally meant to create more lists but I opted for speed and pushed these lists out a little quicker. I can add the others later. We can also eventually have lists that include other measurements such as average crown spread, AF points or even further down the road, volume. Yikes! That's a lot of lists but the only way to get there is to start with the easy stuff first.

Doug

Return to “Michigan”