'Leverett Dashboard' for Michigan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DougBidlack

'Leverett Dashboard' for Michigan

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:07 pm

NTS,

several years ago Bob Leverett had the idea of a dashboard so that anyone could easily see the tallest trees and perhaps also the largest trees in girth and other dimensions for each state. I thought it was a great idea but nothing ever came of it. I'm hoping the time has now come to push this idea forward again and hopefully we can all get it rolling. I've already presented everything I know about the state of Michigan as far as trees that have been measured by NTS. Now I'd like to condense this into a more manageable form. I think it is only fitting to call this the 'Leverett Dashboard'
Here are all the tallest trees by species for Michigan to my knowledge.
eNTS MI Height.xlsx
(11.37 KiB) Downloaded 22 times
RHI 10 = 139.1'
RHI 20 = 131.0
back in February of 2013 when I last prepared such a list the figures were:
RHI 10 = 132.7'
RHI 20 = 124.7

I have also prepared a list of the largest trees by girth for Michigan. This list is much less complete because I have not made a strong commitment to measuring the trees with the largest girths yet. Here is this list.
eNTS MI Girth.xlsx
(11.66 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
RGI 10 = 17.63'
RGI 20 = 15.73'
In February of 2013 the figures were:
RGI 10 = 17.24'
RGI 20 = 15.26'
Not much has changed here but I have little doubt that both the RGI 10 and RGI 20 will both go over 20' in the future.

Ideally this dashboard information will get its' own home here so that anyone that wants to quickly and easily get this information can do so. As Bob always likes to say "our data is valuable but hopelessly scattered". Lets change this situation. The important thing is to get started regardless of how poor the information is right now. The hardest part is the start. I can put together a dashboard for Ontario as well and I have several posts waiting in the wings for the Southwest so that I can also help to put together a dashboard for Arizona, New Mexico and Texas...perhaps with Turner Sharps help and anyone else that wants to help.

This dashboard idea should not just be for the US either. Ontario is next in my sights and there is no reason that the Countries of Europe, for example, can't be treated very much like the States of America. I'm sure Kouta and others would have fun with that!

We already have great info for New York, Massachusetts, Ohio, North Carolina and lots of other states. So let's get started!

Doug
Attachments
eNTS MI Girth.xlsx
(11.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by DougBidlack on Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DougBidlack

Re: 'Leverett Dashboard' for Michigan

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:18 pm

NTS,

I forgot to mention that a few of the trees for Michigan appear to be the tallest or largest in girth that we have yet measured. I put these species in bold. As always, if I made any mistakes please bring it to my attention and I'll correct them. I also made an attempt to put a name to the person(s) that measured the trees. I think this is actually more important than the equipment or methodology (but I've included that when I know it) employed for determining how well a tree was measured. I also like to include the person that first identified and measured the tree and when that occurred when it is known.

Doug

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:54 am

NTS,

I caught a mistake for the girths. I forgot to drop the white pine girth from 17.42' to 16.9'. Bob told me that he did not measure any white pine in the Porkies to 17.42' and that that measurement was made by someone who is not an NTS member. He did, however, measure one to 16.9' in girth in the Porkies. I have decreased the RGI 10 and RGI 20 numbers and later today I will fix the table and resubmit it.

Doug

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:51 am

Pinus strobus at 209"cbh x 154' tall? I thought the specimen Rob found in the adirondacks that we measured last year was the highest points total ENTS had recorded, but it's clearly not competitive with a tree of those dimensions. Any more info on that tree or expedition?

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:23 pm

Erik,

I tried to catch this but I was too late. Bob told me that he thinks the 209" x 154' tree was measured by someone not associated with NTS and is therefore likely unreliable. He also felt that his 16.9' (202.8") x 146' tree from the Porcupine Mountains was probably the same tree. This tree is now dead.

Doug

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:19 pm

Ah, the tree being dead would explain why Bob didn't mention it at the time we were working on the Adirondack tree. The 202.8" x 146' tree would still readily exceed it if it were still alive.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Mon Jan 07, 2019 3:45 pm

Doug and Erik,

As I recall, the huge tree in the Porkies was arguably a double. Will Blozan thought so, and I was not one to disagree with Will's judgment. The Porkies pine wasn't the veritable column that the 16-foot Adirondack pine is. Besides there is a monster Adirondack pine that is probably, but not guaranteed to be, a double. When you see the whole tree, you can imagine it not being a double, but admittedly it is a stretch. The Lyndacker Pine (s) measures 17.8' in girth and 129 feet in height. Here is a photo taken in Sept 2011 in which it looks like two trees. Matt Lyndacker's grandfather knew the tree well and stated to Matt that it wasn't two trees grown together. We named it after the Lyndacker family.
Lyndacker Pine.jpg
I hope to return to the tree in 2019. I have other images of it, which I'll try to find and post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

bbeduhn

Post by bbeduhn » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:28 pm

A 152' red pine ???!!! I guess I missed that post before.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Tue Jan 08, 2019 10:42 pm

One of the cool things about a dashboard is not just the numbers but the trees that make up those numbers. So each state, province, country etc. will have a kind of unique fingerprint. For Michigan the really tall red pine will be one of the unique features. Probably only Wisconsin, Minnesota and Ontario will be somewhat similar in this regard and it will be one of the the ways that clusters these regions together and makes them stand out in comparison to other places.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:39 pm

Doug- Great idea on starting back up the Tallest and Largest species by state. I have the Loblolly Pine covered in several states with info from Will and others, plus the many I've measured. Also in Ms. Live Oak, Sweetgum, Cherry Bark Oak, Southern Red Oak, Willow Oak, Nutall Oak, Shumard Red Oak, Tulip Poplar, Long Leaf Pine, Slash Pine, Cypress, Southern Magnolia, Sweetbay Magnolia. The Colorado info I have will have to be redone do the great fire at Hermosa Creek last year. I also have some stuff from Louisiana, Alabama, South Carolina and Florida.
I'll work up a listing, Larry

Return to “Michigan”