Nannyberry in Michigan

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

DougBidlack

Nannyberry in Michigan

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 5:23 pm

NTS,

on the 30th of December of 2015 I had some time before dark to measure some nannyberries (Viburnum lentago) along Wildwing lake in Kensington Metropark which is in Milford. The tallest was 1.49' x 34' 8". I'll leave it to Jess to say if this is the tallest we know about so far. It is certainly a species that we rarely measure. Below is a really bad picture in the fading light against the lake background. The tallest one is in the center. I'll try and get better shots of this guy in the future.
Nannyberry.jpg
I like this species quite a bit as we had one in the frontyard for a number of years while I was growing up in Michigan. My mom dug it up as a very small tree from the 'ditch' out along the gravel road. In my experience they only occur in moist soils like in 'ditches' or along all manner of wetlands or lakes. I have never seen one here in Massachusetts although other Viburnums are very common in this state (MA) and it makes me wonder if nannyberries prefer very rich, less acid soils with plenty of Calcium like in Michigan. The plants are easy to spot even in Winter because of their very distinctive buds. They remind me a little of duckheads.

Doug

Will Blozan

Re: Nannyberry in Michigan

Post by Will Blozan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:22 pm

Doug,

Get crown spread- should be a National Champion. The current listed tree (67 pts) is 45" in girth but almost certainly a clump (no photo). The nominator is notorious for measuring clumps.

Will

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Jan 31, 2016 7:07 pm

Will,

I actually wanted to get crown spread but it got too dark on me and I couldn't tell one plant from another. I'll have to get it at a later date. I had no idea that it would be reasonably close to a National Champion.

Doug

Devin

Post by Devin » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:04 pm

Dude, nice nannyberry. Thanks for checking out all them little biggies

Jess Riddle

Post by Jess Riddle » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:48 am

Doug,

I've never seen a nannyberry that tall. I did measure some large ones (though rather decrepit) ones at Henderson Shores Unique Area next to Lake Ontario in New York several years ago.
IMG_4134.JPG
IMG_4135.JPG
The one in the photographs was 34" circumference at a little below 4.5', where it was forking. That tree was 26.3' tall, and another in the same grove was 14.5" cbh by 25.0' tall.

Jess

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:53 pm

Jess,

that's a pretty fat nannyberry and would score higher in AF points than the one I found if it hasn't fallen apart. Maybe a NY eNT can get a crown spread on it?

Doug

Return to “Michigan”