Stunted Trees on Lake Huron Coast

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Matt Markworth

Stunted Trees on Lake Huron Coast

Post by Matt Markworth » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:47 pm

Hi All,

I found these little trees fascinating. They inhabit the rocky Lake Huron coast at Besser Natural Area in NE Michigan (lower peninsula).
DSCN0988.jpg
DSCN0986.jpg
DSCN0902.jpg
DSCN0960.jpg
DSCN0962.jpg
DSCN0912.jpg
- Matt

edfrank

Re: Stunted Trees on Lake Huron Coast

Post by edfrank » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:06 pm

Matt,

I have always been fascinated by these types of stunted trees. The stunted forests like are atop Mt. Greylock, MA are another example. The country is rife with patches of unusual forests. Those stunted by circumstances. Unusual assemblages related to soil chemistry or climatic conditions. Disjunct pockets of species found outside their normal range. Assemblages a result of unusual natural history processes. I have taken some stabs at trying to define what we need to look at for these types of forests, but my ideas need to be fleshed out more. If anyone has suggestions, please weigh on on how to document the aesthetics, the uniqueness, and value of these types of forests.

Edward Forrest Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Michigan”