Enormous Red Pine?

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Jimmy McDonald

Enormous Red Pine?

Post by Jimmy McDonald » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 am

I found this while searching google maps one day. I'd like to know what everyone thinks of this.

https://ssl.panoramio.com/photo/77796991

Will Blozan

Re: Enormous Red Pine?

Post by Will Blozan » Fri May 24, 2013 2:58 pm

Holy crap!!! Are you sure they got the ID right? It is vastly larger than any recorded. I wonder if there are other big ones in the stand?

Will

Jimmy McDonald

Post by Jimmy McDonald » Sat May 25, 2013 11:20 am

I have no Idea if they got it right I just found the photo. Has anyone been to Estivant Pines? I don't think I've seen any reports for this location.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Sat May 25, 2013 10:10 pm

Jimmy, Will,

I've been to Estivant Pines three times. It is a very well known old growth white pine forest. I don't recall seeing any red pines in there but I could be wrong. The fallen giant referred to at the site was the former Michigan champion white pine. I kinda doubt that the tree that this person found was a red pine but it would be cool if it was a correct ID.

Doug

DonCBragg

Post by DonCBragg » Wed May 29, 2013 7:09 pm

I have been in this area before (Breakfast Lake) doing some of my MS work at Michigan Tech. Do not recall any large red pine in the area...certainly were some large white pines (other than those at Estivant). This tree must have been a cull--besides the rotten base, there is a cut stump right near where it fell. Species mix looks right for the UP of Michigan and the bark doesn't seem inappropriate for red pine. Given the proximity to the Mandan Road and the fact that they provided the GPS coordinates, it should not be too hard to relocate this specimen. I plan to get to the UP this summer...perhaps I can swing through and see...

Return to “Michigan”