Michigan area - Treeguy (Bob)

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

Treeguy

Michigan area - Treeguy (Bob)

Post by Treeguy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:54 am

Hi All,

I am new to NTS, but I have been an arborist all my life. I received my froestry degree from Michigan in 86 and have been a city foreser ever since. I would love to get together with anyone to search for trees. When I travel, I like to look for large or significant trees. When I was in New Orleans after Katrina helping communities identify hazardous trees, we went and visited the Seven Sister Live Oak National Champion. I go orienteering alot in the recreation areas in SE MI and see alot of large trees but do not have the time to stop and admire them. One of these days I will get a GPS and tag these so I can come back to them. I read the cottonwood thread and just to mention the state or former state champion is in the City of Wayne not far from city hall. I measured it for Global Releaf of Michigan's big tree hunt years ago. It is a triple stem with the middle one missing. I beleive I have been told that all 3 stems had the same DNA. but it has been years and I could be mistaken.

I raqmbled enough for now.

Bob

RyanLeClair

Re: Michigan area users?

Post by RyanLeClair » Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi, Bob! Welcome to NTS.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:38 pm

Bob,

I second Ryan's welcome. We hope to hear lots from you. We have no permanent representation in Michigan. Doug Bidlack visits there from time to time, and my wife Monica and I often drive through on our way to and from Idaho. Maybe we can hook up.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Treeguy

Post by Treeguy » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:40 pm

Sounds great, there are alot of areas I would love to explore in MI. I'll keep my eyes open.

DougBidlack

Re: Michigan area - Treeguy (Bob)

Post by DougBidlack » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:39 pm

Bob,

it's always nice to hear from more people in Michigan that are interested in trees. Welcome! I'm going to be going back to Michigan in mid-April. I think I will be heading over on Thursday the 12th and I will come back to Massachusetts on Monday the 16th. That gives me three days in Michigan to do tree stuff. I already have plans for all three days. I'll be working on caring for oaks and other trees that I've planted on one day, I'll go out to Pinckney and/or Waterloo State Recreation Areas with Dave Gruenawald on another day and lastly I'll spend a day exploring and measuring trees in Oakwoods Metropark. If you have any interest in any of these outings I'd love to have more company.

Doug

Treeguy

Post by Treeguy » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:19 pm

Oakwoods is practically in my backyard, so let me know and I will definitely meet you there. I love wondering Picney-Waterloo so I may help out there also.

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:12 pm

Bob,

OK, I'll let you know when I'll be going to those sites as soon as I know. It partly depends on the weather and when Dave can go to Pinckney-Waterloo among other things. What day or days is/are best for you?

Doug

dham81793

Post by dham81793 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:21 pm

Welcome Bob!

I am from the Saginaw-Flint area, Frankenmuth to be exact. You might have heard of it?
I joined Doug Bidlack in March on an exploration of the Lower Huron Metro Park and Oakwoods as well. I am also relatively new to the website as well and I am Just starting my tree measuring, and thanks to Doug B. I have started measuring trees with my rangefinder and clinometer! I am always interested to have fellow tree searchers come along with me on my explorations.

Doug Bidlack, we should meet up again sometime. I am sorry to hear I just missed your last endeavor!Next time you're back in the Mitten we should get together. Let me know what's happening!

Best,
Doug Ham
Doug Ham III

Return to “Michigan”