dham81793

Re: Michigan area users?

Post by dham81793 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:52 pm

The week of April 2-8. Since you asked!
Doug Ham III

Chris

Post by Chris » Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:18 am

edfrank wrote:So when are all of you Dougs going to have a Doug convention where you get together with other Dougs and talk about Doug related things?
Maybe measure some Douglas Firs?

*sorry, I had to do it*

dham81793

Post by dham81793 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:12 am

DougBidlack wrote: I grew up in Milford which is about 20-25 minutes northeast of Ann Arbor by car. Since my parents still live there and I have several ongoing tree projects in the area, I visit quite often. In fact I'll be going back on the 8th of March on Thursday after leaving work a couple of hours early and I'll come back to Massachusetts on the 11th of March on Sunday. I'll be doing tree stuff on Friday and Saturday. One day I'm probably going to go the Lower Huron, Willow and Oakwoods Metroparks with David Gruenwald. We'll be looking at trees all day...probably from sunup to sundown and hopefully a bit longer. You're very welcome to join us. I can show you how to measure trees and you can see some mighty fine looking trees! So far, tuliptree, sycamore and cottonwood all top 130' in this area. I think Will Blozan, who has visited this area twice, estimated the trees to be 80-100 years old if I remember correctly.
Doug,

That sounds great! My girlfriend usually comes with me on our tree hunts, so I hope that is okay. It would be great for me to learn how some experienced measurers, measure! I've just been using a homemade clinometer, maybe you could show me some tricks with your range finder and clinometer, that would be great practice for me. I would be able to go Friday for sure, maybe Saturday too, just have to play it by year. Thanks for the invite; we will have to exchange numbers?

Doug
Doug Ham III

DougBidlack

Post by DougBidlack » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:51 pm

Doug,

bringing your girlfriend or anyone else is fine. My wife would normally be with but she is also heading out of town that weekend. Unfortunately I don't have a cell phone so we'll just have to figure things out via e-mail. At this point we really don't have any concrete plans...just kinda fuzzy ones. If you have anything you would like to do or some place you would really like to visit just say so and we can talk about it.

Doug

dham81793

Post by dham81793 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:43 pm

Doug,

Now that you mention it, I have had some interest in the Metamora-Hadley or Ortonville State Recreation areas; have you ever heard or been to those areas? My dad lives in Metamora and I have always been interested in going, just haven't gotten the chance, so it is unexplored! Who knows. But you said that you had some other places that you know have big trees, so if you want big trees for sure, we can do that. A bit of adventure never hurt , though!

You can contact me further at dham81793@gmail.com. Let me know what you're thinking!

Doug
Doug Ham III

Return to “Michigan”