Any large forest grown live oaks?

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Larry Tucei » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Bart-  Hope all is well with you.  William Bartram describes the original Forest in the South. I read it when I get the time- lots of really cool information from his explorations. http://docsouth.unc.edu/nc/bartram/bartram.html   Part two Chapter 11 Pg 84-85 "THIS morning the winds on the great river, were high and against me, I was therefore obliged to keep in port, a great part of the day, which I employed in little excursions round about my encampment. The Live Oaks are of an astonishing magnitude, and one tree contains a prodigious quantity of timber, yet comparatively, they are not tall, even in these forests, where growing on strong land, in company with others of great altitude (such as Fagus sylvatica, Liquid-amber, Magnolia grandiflora, and the high Palm tree) they strive while young to be upon an equality with their neighbours, and to enjoy the influence of the sun-beams, and of the pure animating air; but the others at last prevail, and their proud heads are seen at a great distance, towering far above the rest of the forest, which consists chiefly of this species of oak, Fraxinus, Ulmus, Acer rubrum, Laurus Borbonia, Quercus dentata, Ilex aquifolium, Olea Americana, Morus, Gleditsia triacanthus, and I believe a species of Sapindus. But the latter spreads abroad his brawny arms, to a great distance. The trunk of the Live Oak is generally from twelve to eighteen feet in girt, and rises ten or twelve feet erect from the earth; some I have seen eighteen or twenty; then divides itself into three, four, or five great limbs,

Page 85
which continue to grow in nearly an horizontal direction, each limb forming a gentle curve, or arch, from its base to its extremity. I have stepped above fifty paces, on a strait line, from the trunk of one of these trees, to the extremity of the limbs. They are ever green, and the wood almost incorruptible, even in the open air. It bears a prodigious quantity of fruit; the acorn is small, but sweet and agreeable to the taste when roasted, and is food for almost all animals. The Indians obtain from it a sweet oil, which they use in the cooking of hommony, rice, &c. and they also roast them in hot embers, eating them as we do chesnuts."   Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes - 2:
bbeduhn, Will Blozan
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 663 times
Has Been Liked: 574 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Bart Bouricius » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:44 pm

Thanks for the info Larry,

Can Live Oaks grow on the sandy soils that Long Leaf Pine tends to be found on, or do they do better in different environments.  I was only in North Carolina Piedmont for a year, so am rather ignorant about such details.
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 108 times
Has Been Liked: 295 times
Print view this post

#13)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Larry Tucei » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:19 pm

Bart- Yes they grow from the Coast to inland about 150 miles or more depending on which state. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quercus_vi ... _map_1.png
Larry Tucei

Print view this post

#14)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby wiloost » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:24 pm

Hi ,

I am finishing a trip through Florida and Louisiana. Seen a lot of live oaks. One tree was special because it is big and growing in a natural wilderness. The tree is located in the area of the Suwanee  River Water Management District, in Live Oak or actually Jasper. I have documented  and registered the tree at http://www.monumentaltrees.com/nl/usa/f ... rea/23788/

I had to measure the circumference at 5,5 feet because of some big bumps at the bottom of the tree. The tree has a circumference of about 24 feet and a heigth of some 100 feet. An astonishing tree and in the surroundings there are more thick and tall trees. I thought you might be interested.

For this message the author wiloost has received Likes - 2:
Rand, tsharp
wiloost

Has Liked: 2 times
Has Been Liked: 3 times
Print view this post

#15)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby bbeduhn » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:46 am

Wow, that is by far the largest I've seen forest grown! It doesn't appear to be all that tall from the picture but pictures can be deceiving. The root structure is different from what I've seen but I've seen live oaks mostly in South Carolina and Georgia.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1093 times
Has Been Liked: 468 times
Print view this post

#16)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Rand » Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:53 am

Whoa.  Love the gnarly old roots.
Rand

Has Liked: 262 times
Has Been Liked: 368 times
Print view this post

#17)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Larry Tucei » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Nice Oak showing older growth characteristics.  100' tall would be the tallest known Live Oak I believe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Bonnabel%20Oak.jpg

Bonnabel%20Oak.jpg (135.1 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Here is an image of a Oak similar in stature to your tree 20' CBH with a height of only 64' in Louisiana at Fontainbleau State Park.  Many of Oaks like this may have been in Forests that were cleared as development took place.   Larry

For this message the author Larry Tucei has received Likes :
Rand
Larry Tucei

Print view this post

#18)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:32 am

Wow, Larry- that looks like the lower leg and foot of a Brontosaurus on steroids.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#19)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Will Blozan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:20 am

The Florida Big Trees Website has multiple examples of forest grown live oaks of large size. Some are listed to 150' but I do not believe it for a minute. I can see a 100' tree being found some day but not many. Still think 92-3' is the tallest known. However, Jess hasn't posted on them in a while ;)

I see this tree was reported as being measured using the SINE method and Nikon 550 laser. Is this true? Not the built-in height routine? Can you describe the method and figures recorded? If truly SINE, you have a new height record!

Of all eastern trees, live oak is likely the most prone to over estimates of height. The highest point on the Middleton Oak was 40' lateral from the base center.

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1543 times
Has Been Liked: 440 times
Print view this post

#20)  Re: Any large forest grown live oaks?

Postby Joe » Fri Feb 26, 2016 10:54 am

Another example of how most people don't think the accurate measurement of trees is important.....
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

PreviousNext

Return to Live Oak Project