100 Oaks Project

Reports and materials related to the Live Oak Project. The project was initiated by Larry Tucei to document the great live oak tree ((Quercus virginia) found in the southern United States.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  100 Oaks Project

Postby Tyler » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:50 am

NTS,

I don't know if this has been posted before but I just came across it. This guy is trying to document the 100 oldest live oaks. I recognize some of the trees from Larry's posts.

https://100oaks.wordpress.com/

Tyler
Tyler

Has Liked: 109 times
Has Been Liked: 153 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: 100 Oaks Project

Postby Lucas » Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:31 pm

A nice site. Lots of great pix.

wow
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 125 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: 100 Oaks Project

Postby Larry Tucei » Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:33 pm

Tyler-   Yes I noticed this guy about 4 or 5 years ago. He has done several of the same Oaks that I have recorded and more. Our Listing on NTS blows his away!  Not to take anything away from him but we started a Listing in 2006. Will and Company measured the Middleton Oak thoroughly in 2004 and were the first to do a Live Oak to my knowledge.  Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 587 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: 100 Oaks Project

Postby williamguion » Tue Aug 30, 2016 11:13 am

Larry and Tyler --  For the record, my goals are very different from Larry's and I don't really see any competition between what we do.  I'm interested in documenting the old oaks through making "tree portraits" and researching the history of how each tree has been part of the human history of the place where it grows. I've done this primarily in Louisiana, but eventually I'll get to other states (though I've been kept plenty busy with trees just in Louisiana).  I visit the trees many times to photograph them in different light and weather conditions -- my blog documents my trips to certain historically significant trees and provides background and history of each one.  But parallel to my blog, you can see other photo images of the oaks I visit at my website http://www.williamguion.com.  I feel Larry's work is important for recordkeeping purposes -- which is what the ENTS is all about.  I'm more interested making portraits of the trees that reflect their individual personalities and compiling the history and human stories behind each to communicate how the trees are a part of the physical and cultural growth of an area.
williamguion

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 1 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: 100 Oaks Project

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:11 pm

William-  I looked at your website years ago and enjoyed what you are doing. I started to put a website of my own back in 2007-08 just never did. I also have a lot of the history behind many of the Oaks that I've documented.   Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 693 times
Has Been Liked: 587 times
Print view this post

Return to Live Oak Project