Oaxaca

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Oaxaca

Post by tsharp » Wed May 23, 2018 8:51 am

NTS:
In early March of 2018 Susan and I spent some time in the Mexican State of Oaxaca and mostly in the capital city of Oaxaca. We had a rental car for a day so we did get out and about the area and I got to measure a few trees.
Largest of three (new to me) species measured included:

Michocan Pine (Pinus devonnian 9.4' x 55.2'
False White Pine (Pinus psuedostrobus) 9.1' x 121.2", 9.6' x 109.2'
Aztec Pine (Pinus tecote) 4.7' x 63.2'

Click on image to see its original size

9.4' x 55.2'

The Michocan Pine was found about the ruins of Monte Alban at an elevation of 6400'.
Monte Alban is a large pre-columbian ruin that was the center of power for the Zapotec for about 1000 years.
See the following link.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monte_Alb%C3%A1n

The False White Pine and Aztec Pine were found along Highway 175 heading north from Oaxaca City. The Aztec Pine at 6500' and the False White Pine at 8500'. There are at least three varieties of the P. psuedostrobus] and one of them is referred to locally as P. Oaxacana. I have no idea which variety I observed. This species can not be mistaken for the eastern White Pine Pinus strobus.
Anyone interested in the Pinus Genus should have Mexico on their radar and do some homework before you go. A good reference is Chris Earle's web page at:
http://www.conifers.org/

Other areas of interest was the Etno- Botanical Garden behind the former Santa Domingo de Guzman Church in Oaxaca.
We took a three hour tour with a volunteer Canadian botanist presenter. It was well Well worth the time.
See following link:
http://www.academictoursoaxaca.com/oaxa ... garden.php

Of course we had to visit the famous Montezuma Cypress (Taxodium mucronatumin the town of Santa Maria del Tule.

It is one of Don B's gobsmackers. One of those improbable trees that will stop you dead in your tracks upon first seeing it.

It was an purely by happenstance but we stopped for a sandwich shop along the highway that also happened to be a Mescal distillery and since we were the only tourist looking people around so we got the full treatment.

Agave hearts- cultivated variety

After baking in an in-ground oven a 1 HP mill mashes the Agave hearts which are then raked up and shoveled into wheelbarrows and dumped into pots.

With two cultivated and five wild Agave hearts used and two different proofs produced in the distilling process there is a lot of product to sample. There is no truth that I had! to hold onto the table.

Larry Tucei

Re: Oaxaca

Post by Larry Tucei » Wed May 23, 2018 12:03 pm

Turner- The Pines are way cool and the Oaxaca Cypress must be many trunks fussed together? Come on admit it you had to hold on to the table after all that Tequila! Lol Larry

tsharp

Post by tsharp » Thu May 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Larry, NTS:
The Cypress has many stems, buttresses and burls plus other abnormal growths. If you click on the picture about 12 more pictures will appear illustrating the complexity of the trunk.

Don

Post by Don » Thu May 24, 2018 10:49 pm

Turner-
Man, you do get around !
I've not been to the famed Montezuma Cypress, or I'd consider calling them the Montezuma Cypresses. From the multiple images you took, I can't say that I can imagine the array of central axes with any degree of certainty. But that's okay, it's cool all of it's own.
Re tequila, college ruined me for years, for tequila. It's only been in the last coupla years that I've reaquainted myself with better brands of tequila and reacquired a liking for it. Nothing like going to the source!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 am

Turner, Don,

The Montezuma cypress is no doubt multi-stemmed. I presume the species is prone to coppicing. Take such a species, add father time, ad we end up with these humugus forms . Can we call them individual trees, tree organisms, or just gobsmackers?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Post by Don » Sat May 26, 2018 10:31 am

Bob/Turner-
In the context of another country with no associated national register, all three work. Although I suppose I do favor 'gobsmacker'...it's a "big enough superlative" to do the job ! Great burl of character, too. Upon further reflection, I am reminded of the Petrolia Blue Gum (Eucalyptus)...something about it's irregular polygonal clustering. Impressive, nonetheless!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Return to “Mexico”