BBC Visit to MTSF

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

dbhguru

BBC Visit to MTSF

Post by dbhguru » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:04 am

Ents,

On Monday my wife Monica, Jared Lockwood, Dr. William Moomaw, and I took a team from the BBC to a couple sites in MTSF to look at maples. The BBC will produce a series called The Americas in about 4 years. They're doing the preliminary work now. I had been contacted by the BBC several months ago and had been working with them to visit sites in Vermont, New Hampshire, and Massachusetts.

This is the second time I've had the privilege of working with the BBC, and I can safely say that it is NTS that led them to contacting me. We do have an impact. Sometimes it may seem that we're isolated in a corner of cyberspace, but serious researchers do find us and place important eon the website and BBS that greatly surpasses what filters through the lightweight social media sites.

While we were in the vicinity of Magic Maple (see past posts on that exceptional red maple), Jared measured a black birch. I spotted it and suggested Jared measure it. He did. Ah, only 99 feet. We'll return to see if we can juice another foot out of it.

In half an hour, I'll be showing Connor Hogan who manages a 4,000-acre wildlife refuge in Connecticut Mohawk's tall pines. Will report later.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Don

Re: BBC Visit to MTSF

Post by Don » Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:49 pm

Bob-
I've been meaning to ask how the Smithsonian interview is coming along?
-Don

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 4:44 pm

Hope it went well Bob. Let me know if you ever need a good spot in PA for fall foliage photos or videos! I have learned of a lot of swell places, that vary year by year. The best this year appears to be Bear Wallow Pond (with old-growth in Loyalsock State Forest) in Sullivan County PA, Ricketts Glen SP, Promised Land SP, Hickory Run SP, and Michaux State Forest. There are a lot more in a list of mine, so please let me know if anyone here needs some recommendations!

Rustin A.

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 am

Don,

An article is scheduled for December, or so I'm told. I don't really know what will be in it. The author is Jonny Diamond. He manages the Literary Hub, which is located in NYC. He's visited Monica and me twice and the Smithsonian sent a photographer named David Degner to MTSF. So something is cooking, but I won't know until whatever gets written is published.

I think that the challenge for Smithsonian is finding the right niche to fit a story on old-growth forest in populous, long settled Massachusetts, presumably featuring my role. Whatever they settle on, I'm extremely honored. However, there its a bigger story that I hope we can eventually find the right venue for, and that's the story of NTS and what we've collectively accomplished over the years. It is a story that can get easily lost in the daily deluge of mundane stuff through social media.

Ross,

I tried to interest the BBC in expanding their geographical coverage, but they are concentrating on New England. There's no shortage of sugar maples in these parts. In addition, they have the spectacular backdrop of the White and Green Mountains and the more subdued landscape of the Massachusetts Berkshires. Soup to nuts.

All,

I am hopeful that we can eventually find a prestigious source to tell our NTS story. Regrettably, we continue to hemorrhage members who had such valuable roles in years past. Fortunately, we've picked up some young blood (e.g. Ross), and if we can prevent the BBS from being highjacked by bots, maybe we can attract more new members who share our passions.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:13 am

dbhguru wrote:
Sun Oct 17, 2021 8:05 am
Russ,

I tried to interest the BBC in expanding their geographical coverage, but they are concentrating on New England. There's no shortage of sugar maples in these parts. In addition, they have the spectacular backdrop of the White and Green Mountains and the more subdued landscape of the Massachusetts Berkshires. Soup to nuts.

All,

I am hopeful that we can eventually find a prestigious source to tell our NTS story. Regrettably, we continue to hemorrhage members who had such valuable roles in years past. Fortunately, we've picked up some young blood (e.g. Ross), and if we can prevent the BBS from being highjacked by bots, maybe we can attract more new members who share our passions.

Bob
Bob,

Ah, I see. New England has just about always surpassed the mid-atlantic and PA as to fall maple foliage! As you say, there are tons of maples up there. Most forests in PA are oak dominated until you reach the northern 1/3, or the Laurel Highlands (which stretch into W. Virginia and beyond).

I am glad to have contributed in a meaningful way to the ENTS. As you say, hopefully more members would be attracted. Maybe if it was changed from a Board into what is now called a 'hangout'?? I will have to think about whether that would make sense or not.

-Russ

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Sun Oct 17, 2021 6:59 pm

Russ,

We definitely appreciate your participation, and look forward to more young people with fresh ideas.

NTS is almost unique in its history and depth of the information we collectively hold. NTS provides a platform for us to share scientifically useful information that doesn't fit the prevailing academic mold. More eon this topic in a future post.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

BeeEnvironment2020

Post by BeeEnvironment2020 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 1:49 pm

Thank you Bob, I hope to add more to the site in forthcoming years.

Russ

Return to “MA - Mohawk Trail State Forest”