130 and above in Thoreau Land

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby dbhguru » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:52 pm

Ents,

Periodically we update the list of sites that have one or more trees reaching a height of 130 feet in Massachusetts. Jared has just updated the list with his heretofore unrecorded discoveries. The current list is attached.

We're up to 79 sites and there will be plenty more to confirm now that we have the reconstituted Massachusetts A-Team on duty. Our group consists of John Eichholz, Doug Bidlack, Andrew Joslin, Bob Leverett, and Ray Asselin. This is the strongest team we've ever had. Oh yes, the honorary member of the A-Team is our friend Richard Higgins. I hope that Rich will find a little time to put our discoveries and  exploits to the pen, and I can think of no one who can do it better.

This brings me to the next topic. Our Superlative Native Tree Database now has over 2200 records. I talked to John Peterson earlier today and we're thinking about how to create reports to showcase great trees in the database. John is considering a number of reports available to the public. It is now just a case of getting the data into the database.

We certainly intend that Massachusetts is properly represented. I think Thoreau would approve. Rich, would he?

Bob
Attachments
130AndAboveList-Mass-4-4-2017_JLv2.xlsx
(62.46 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1087 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby dbhguru » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Ents,

Oops! I inadvertantly left off Jared Lockwood from the A-team list. Jared is very much A-team. In fact, Jared is super A-team. He's the Dude!

Sorry for the omission, Brother Jared. You get my allotment of ice cream scoops (courtesy of Brother Ray) for the next two weeks.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
dbhguru

Print view this post

#3)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:23 pm

dbhguru wrote:Ents,

Oops! I inadvertantly left off Jared Lockwood from the A-team list. Jared is very much A-team. In fact, Jared is super A-team. He's the Dude!

Sorry for the omission, Brother Jared. You get my allotment of ice cream scoops (courtesy of Brother Ray) for the next two weeks.

Bob

Thanks, Bob! No worries. You know I like to keep a low profile. ;)

I think ol' HDT would be proud of all of us on the Bay State A-team.

Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 103 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby dbhguru » Wed Apr 05, 2017 9:03 am

Ents,

Another list that we keep is the champion tall tree list for Massachusetts. I list 35 species. The Mass historical RHI stands at 145.0, not bad for a small New England state. I expect Connecticut is close to that, but we have very little data from the Nutmeg state. Rhode Island probably wont't break 135. New Hampshire about the same. Vermont is likely low 130s. I expect Maine is around 130, if that.

Who'd a thunk it! It's the spirit of HDT!

Bob
Attachments
MASSRHI-4-4-2017 copy.xlsx
(66.54 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
dbhguru

Print view this post

#5)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby AndrewJoslin » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:28 pm

dbhguru wrote:Ents,

Bob

Yeah, Jared personifies the A-team!
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 161 times
Has Been Liked: 88 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby dbhguru » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

Andrew,

It is very satisfying to me for Massachusetts to be back in  the main stream. Early on, Massachusetts and North Carolina were the northern and southern centers of NTS tree-measuirng activity. The center shifted to Pennsylvania and later to Ohio. It is fine to pass the baton around, but I'm glad it has been handed back to us.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#7)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:12 am

Speaking of "Thoreau Land". I'm just curious, has anyone studied the forest at Walden Pond?
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#8)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby AndrewJoslin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:14 am

Joe wrote:Speaking of "Thoreau Land". I'm just curious, has anyone studied the forest at Walden Pond?
Joe

The immediate woods around Walden are fairly young, there are some nice white pines here and there along the edge but they don't look tall. The recent plus 150' white pine measured in Lincoln is in the same forest area as Walden, you could walk to Walden easily through the woods. Same for the big volume "Grandmother Pine" in Hapgood Wright Town Forest, very close to Walden Pond, separated by Rt. 2. Next time I'm at the pond I'll take a closer look. There are also contiguous woods on the west side of Walden bordered by the Sudbury River, I haven't been in there yet.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#9)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby Joe » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:57 am

AJ, I'm now curious about the history of the woods next to Walden. Who owned it previous to the state which, I think, now owns it? Did they log it over the years? I wonder if it's now fully protected from logging? Is there a trail around the pond? I recall going to Walden in the early '70s- had trouble finding it as I couldn't find any signs. Then when I walked around the pond, I didn't see any trails. I go down Rt. 2 several times each year, I should check it out.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#10)  Re: 130 and above in Thoreau Land

Postby AndrewJoslin » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:22 am

Joe wrote:AJ, I'm now curious about the history of the woods next to Walden. Who owned it previous to the state which, I think, now owns it? Did they log it over the years? I wonder if it's now fully protected from logging? Is there a trail around the pond? I recall going to Walden in the early '70s- had trouble finding it as I couldn't find any signs. Then when I walked around the pond, I didn't see any trails. I go down Rt. 2 several times each year, I should check it out.
Joe

There are trails around the entire pond, here's a map from the DCR's site:
http://www.mass.gov/eea/docs/dcr/parks/trails/walden.pdf

It looks like most of the land in the general area, has been logged several times. The woods outside of the state land are a mix of conservation lands and private holdings, much of it forested. The state land immediately around the pond is thickly grown with lots of small pines and generally young trees.

Here's a map of "protected" forest around the pond from the Walden Wood Project website:
https://www.walden.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Walden-Woods-conservation-status2-wwp.jpg

As we know too well "protected" is a fuzzy term when it comes to forests.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

Next

Return to Massachusetts