New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#11)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:11 pm

AndrewJoslin wrote:Excellent report Jared, looking forward to getting over there sooner than later. Love the "wiggly" Scots Pine, and the super gnarl 135' white pine is superb.
-AJ

Andrew,

Thanks! Mount Misery is a nice place to walk around and hunt for big trees. Maybe we can coordinate a meeting there sometime in the near future. There are many trees remaining to be measured!

dbhguru wrote:Jared,

Pretty impressive numbers. Have you made it back to the land around Harvard Forest. Just curious.

Bob

Bob,

Thank you! I have made it back to Petersham a couple of times, but I still need a few more visits before I've adequately explored and represented the site with my measurements. I will tell you that the best height on a white pine that I've gotten there so far is 142.7' on a tree with a CBH of 10.7'. I've pulled in a good number of 10'+ circumference pines, with the largest being the 12.55' x 141.7' tree that you already know of. The second largest circumference that I've measured is 11.8' on a riverside white pine standing 125.8' tall. I don't want to give away all the juicy details just yet! A report is coming soon!

Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 102 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#12)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby dbhguru » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:03 pm

Jared,

Harvard Forest, Mass Audubon, and The Trustees are going to love your report, and Dr. David Foster is going to really love it. The 4000 to 5000 acre combined area to be kept as a wild wood is high on his radar scope. To have a real woodland that would have impressed Henry David Thoreau right there is dream stuff.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
AndrewJoslin
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post