New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby DougBidlack » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:12 pm

NTS,

yesterday I went to measure a few trees including some white pines that I thought would be taller than the current champ in Concord.  So maybe I should start by reviewing what we know about that tree.  It was first measured by me to 12.60' x 129.4' in late 2008 and two years later Andrew and I measured this tree to 12.69' x 130.16'.  Andrew measured it most recently in March of 2013 to 12.8' x 131.6' so it has grown about 2.2' in height over 4 years.  If it has grown at about the same rate over the last two growing seasons then it should be around 132.7' tall at this time if all is still well with that tree.  So I went to the Mt. Misery Conservartion Property in northwestern Lincoln to measure a white pine that I thought would be taller.  Well, I measured it to 10.30' x 134' 1" so it is indeed taller!  This tree is growing at the base of a North facing slope at the edge of a wetland.  The dominant trees in this forest are white pines, black birches, northern red oaks and hemlocks.  Unfortunately I was unable to get a good picture of this tree due to the bright blue sky and position of the sun when I measured this tree.  I next wanted to measure what appeared to be the tallest pitch pine I'd ever seen in the eastern part of the state.  I had never even been able to break 90' on previous attempts but this tree weighed in at 4.42' x 101' 9".  Below is a picture of this tree in the center of the photo.

Pitch Pine #1.jpg

I wanted to measure a few black birches for Bob so I first went to one that I figured was the largest in girth and likely in volume of those that I'd seen on an earlier hike through this forest.  This tree measured 7.92' x 92' 6" but I'm not sure that I hit the highest point.  Here are two pictures of this tree.

Black Birch #2.jpg

Black Birch #3.jpg

I made two more solid height measurements of 84' 4" and 93' 3" and several other quick and dirty measurements which were mainly in the 80's but a couple also reached the low 90's.  I think with more searching this species may break 100' at this conservation property but I needed to get back home for an early dinner and I wanted to visit one other site in Lincoln.

This other site is on private property so I will not give details on the exact location out of respect for the owners.  When I went to ask permission to measure a tall white pine on their property I was lucky to find a couple who were very excited about the prospect of having some very tall white pines for this part of the state...so they enthusiastically allowed me to measure on their property.  I only measured one white pine but it was all that I think I needed to measure at this time.  I believe it to be the tallest of the lot and it came in at 8.56' x 144' 3" so it easily crushed the hours old height record for eastern Massachusetts!  This tree was also located at the base of a North facing slope just uphill from a wetland.  It was mainly surrounded by other white pines and several of these are over 130' in height.  I'll post a picture because I don't think it gives away the site.  It is in the center of the photo taken from near the position where I measure it.

White Pine #4.jpg

Doug

For this message the author DougBidlack has received Likes - 5:
Bart Bouricius, bbeduhn, Jess Riddle, Matt Markworth, Will Blozan
DougBidlack

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 186 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby dbhguru » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Doug,

Holy Smokes!! You've just destroyed the myth that all the tall pines are in the western half of the State. Man, do I have to do some back peddling, but absolutely exciting stuff. Thanks a bunch! We look forward to more measurements.

It may we be that black birch does just as well in eastern Mass as in the western part of the state. I'll enter the new measurements in the database.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1086 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby DougBidlack » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:40 am

Bob,

I guess sometimes back peddling can be a good thing then!  Now I wonder if there is a 150 footer hiding someplace in the east.

I'm thinking that the black birch heights at this site were mostly from 65-95' and that 80' might be fairly close to the average.  It mostly depends on how you define the lower end.  It might be nice to try and run transects through some of these black birch forest sites and measure every black birch that we define as being part of the canopy.  This way we could get a true average.  It would be interesting to compare some of the best sites in eastern, central and western Mass via such an average as well as the tallest tree.  Maybe then look at forest and tree ages.

Doug
DougBidlack

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 186 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby AndrewJoslin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:23 pm

I've been out of touch on tall tree measuring for a couple years, lots going on that I've had to keep up with. I'm absolutely amazed that you found a 144'+ white pine in eastern Mass. Great work!
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Has Liked: 149 times
Has Been Liked: 88 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby AndrewJoslin » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:51 pm

Just for the record the white pine that was the previous eastern Mass. height champ in Concord, MA (before Doug Bidlack crushed it with his Lincoln 144.3) is now as of February 16, 2017, envelope please...
132.67' tall, CBH: a hair under 13' (I know, a hair is not a valid measurement). It will probably be 13' after the next growing season ;-)
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#6)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby dbhguru » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:28 pm

Andrew,

A 132.67-foot tall, 13-foot circumference white pine is a keeper any day in my book. Glad to see you posting again. e hope you'll consider joining us in the National Cadre. You can define your area of coverage to be as small as you like.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

#7)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby AndrewJoslin » Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:38 pm

dbhguru wrote:Andrew,

A 132.67-foot tall, 13-foot circumference white pine is a keeper any day in my book. Glad to see you posting again. e hope you'll consider joining us in the National Cadre. You can define your area of coverage to be as small as you like.

Bob

Most definitely, life's been a work in progress the last few years, I'm ready to get back to tree measuring. Which reminds me, I was recently introduced to an amazing grove of large/tall vigorous tuliptrees near Sandy Hook, CT. Trees are on conservation land. The monarch of the grove had impressive CBH, massive volume in the crown and good height. I'll be returning to measure in the next week or two and will report back. The downside was that every ash in that area of woods was dead or close to death, EAB. Every ash, it is the first time I've seen EAB devastation with my own eyes.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#8)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby a_blooming_botanist » Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:32 pm

NTS,

Today I met up with several friends to go walking in the Mount Misery conservation area in Lincoln. I first explored this place with Doug Bidlack earlier this year. Back then he showed me the mighty white pine tree that he had measured in 2014, as well as a tall pitch pine and a stocky black birch. I checked in on the big white pine earlier in the year, and took measurements of the pitch pine and black birch today. Here are the featured trees of Mount Misery:

White pine (Pinus strobus)
10.35’ CBH x 135.3’ (measured on 6/28/17)
In the three years (or so) since it was last measured the white pine has put on 14 inches of height and 0.6 inches of circumference. The average annual vertical growth of this tree over the past three years has been 4.67 inches per year. What’s really fantastic about this tree is just how gnarly it is! It’s got some big, beefy limbs!

10.35 x 135.3 white pine - base.jpg

10.35 x 135.3 white pine - looking up.jpg

10.35 x 135.3 white pine - full.jpg

Pitch pine (Pinus rigida)
4.44’ CBH x 102.8’ (measured on 11/11/17)
This pitch pine has increased its girth a modest ¼ inch and has grown 12 inches in height since 2014. On average, it has grown 4 inches in height per year.

4.44 x 102.8 pitch pine - full.jpg

Black birch (Betula lenta)
8.03’ CBH x 93.3’ (measured on 11/11/17)
This monster of a black birch has grown by 1.3 inches in girth and 9 inches in height (assuming both Doug and I were hitting the same point in the crown), for an average annual vertical growth of 3 inches.

8.03 x 93.3 black birch - full.jpg

Scots pine (Pinus sylvestris)
4.44’ CBH x 98.7’
As far as I know this tree hasn’t been measured in the past, but I measured it today. It’s the first of its species to be measured by me, so it shall serve as a reference point for all of my future measurements. It’s not a species I encounter often, but here it appears to be in an old pine and larch plantation.

4.44 x 98.7 Scots pine - full.jpg

Jared
a_blooming_botanist

Has Liked: 102 times
Has Been Liked: 58 times
Print view this post

#9)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby AndrewJoslin » Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:59 am

Excellent report Jared, looking forward to getting over there sooner than later. Love the "wiggly" Scots Pine, and the super gnarl 135' white pine is superb.
-AJ
AndrewJoslin

Print view this post

#10)  Re: New tallest white pine for eastern MA in Lincoln

Postby dbhguru » Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:09 am

Jared,

Pretty impressive numbers. Have you made it back to the land around Harvard Forest. Just curious.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and President
dbhguru

Print view this post

Next

Return to Massachusetts