They keep on growing

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  They keep on growing

Postby dbhguru » Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:04 pm

Ents,

One of the significant tree sites I keep track of these days is Look Park in Northampton, MA. The Park was hammered by the famous 1938 hurricane when it lost 257 trees. However, it has since gained a lot of ground and today offers tree aficionados something of a visual feast. Its trees are carefully groomed. You won't see many dead limbs and branches, and certainly not dead trees.

The Park has lots of mature white pines and I track their growth. One tree is especially watched, the Totem Pole Pine, which is the Park's tallest tree. Here are two images of it. First, a look from afar with stats, followed by a close up.

Totem Pole Pine-2.png

Totem Pole Pine -1.jpg

There are at least 6 other pines in the vicinity of this tree that exceed 130 feet in height. There are 3 or possibly 4 others in the Park that reach the 130 threshold. These heights are not really exceptional, but certainly nothing to be embarrassed by either. Northampton is awash in mature trees. I haven't done a very good job of tracking its RHI, which I think is between 123 and 124.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest

For this message the author dbhguru has received Likes :
Larry Tucei
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1070 times
Print view this post