Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#31)  Re: Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Postby Josh Kelly » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:08 am

The tight hollow poplar was tape-dropped to 172' back in 2010.  Here is that report as a refresher.

viewtopic.php?f=82&t=5808&p=26015&hilit=tight+hollow#p26015

For this message the author Josh Kelly has received Likes :
Will Blozan
Josh Kelly

Has Liked: 5 times
Has Been Liked: 70 times
Print view this post

#32)  Re: Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Postby dbhguru » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:18 am

Josh, et. al.,

Thanks for reminding us. I dimly remembered the climb, but didn't connect it with the Tight Hollow location.

Along with the inimitable Matt Markworth, maybe those of you in the Southeast can bring Kentucky into the limelight of "big treedom." A shootout between the tulips and great whites occurs even if not formally announced in a dozen states. What about a tabular layout for comparison along the lines of height, spread, circumference, volume (est.), # trees in different dimensional classes, etc. - all for the fun of it?

Northeast of Massachusetts, it's all white pine, but southern New England and New York is where the competition really heats up. To the west, I would guess that might be true in Michigan. This could be the subject of a future American Forests article. Historical information to include old photos, modern tree climbs .... soup to nuts. It wouldn't be a completed article until the fat lady sang. Oh, should I have said that?

Here is a start for tulip vs white pine comparison for Massachusetts. It isn't very well thought out. Just something to get the ball rolling.

Screen shot 2016-01-14 at 9.14.03 AM.png

Screen shot 2016-01-14 at 9.14.03 AM.png (24.82 KiB) Viewed 395 times

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#33)  Re: Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Postby Matt Markworth » Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:39 pm

Jim, Will,

That sounds fantastic. I'm 100% in and would love to visit Tight Hollow. I'll private message later this evening to get the conversation started.

Bob,

Great idea for those comparisons. I'm just on my iPhone right now and don't have much data, but for KY we have the big tuliptree tape-dropped as 172' (not in Tight Hollow, the tree is much farther south) and the 178.9' white pine in Red River Gorge measured with the Trupulse 200 from multiple angles.

Matt
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 826 times
Print view this post

#34)  Re: Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Postby Josh Kelly » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:01 am

Jim & Mark,

I did a search for tight hollow in the trip reports and that tree came up. After reading more closely, I see that it's in Crane Hollow or elsewhere around Cumberland Falls and that Tight Hollow was just mentioned in the discussion.  I look forward to some photos and a trip report in the future.
Josh Kelly

Has Liked: 5 times
Has Been Liked: 70 times
Print view this post

#35)  Re: Mighty Fine Kentucky Pines

Postby Matt Markworth » Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:25 pm

All,

Here's one more white pine to add to the growing list of 160 footers. Coming in at 6.65' x 163.8' it's the skinniest one I've measured yet.

For Eastern KY this brings the total in the 160' class up to 17 trees, with another 6 trees in the 170' class (one is dead). I think there are many more out there, although they are fairly scattered out as you might imagine. Fortunately for me there are a lot more trails to hike!

6.65' x 163.8'.JPG

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
bbeduhn
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1068 times
Has Been Liked: 826 times
Print view this post

Previous

Return to Kentucky