Historical Photo From Stearns.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Mon Nov 10, 2014 10:23 pm

I visited the history museum in Stearns, Kentucky where the Stearns Coal & Timber Company ruled the land. It was an interesting visit with a couple of nice photos in one exhibit. I think the tree in this first photo wasn't felled until the late 40s. That was my impression from what I could gather, at any rate. Strange to think trees of that size lasted that long in the South Fork of the Cumberland River Gorge until that late into the rape of the lands.

jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 525 times
Has Been Liked: 118 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby John Harvey » Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:08 am

Its probably about a 20ft circumference tree. I wonder what type of tree it was?
John D Harvey (JohnnyDJersey)

East Coast and West Coast Big Tree Hunter

"If you look closely at a tree you'll notice it's knots and dead branches, just like our bodies. What we learn is that beauty and imperfection go together wonderfully." - Matt Fox
John Harvey

Has Liked: 354 times
Has Been Liked: 433 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Tue Nov 11, 2014 8:44 am

I couldn't find any reference on the species. Just comments on the size and conjectures about the age.
jamesrobertsmith

Print view this post

#4)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby Will Blozan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:19 am

JRS,

That first photo is highly suspect to me as being both an eastern tree AND from the Cumberlands... The biggest diameter tree- by far- in Savage Gulf is a chunky tuliptree 65" diameter. There is a report of an 8 footer taken out. Total BS.

Will
Will Blozan

Has Liked: 1558 times
Has Been Liked: 442 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:48 am

The Stearns Museum lied??!! I thought coal and timber companies only told the truth!

For this message the author jamesrobertsmith has received Likes :
Will Blozan
jamesrobertsmith

Print view this post

#6)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby bbeduhn » Tue Nov 11, 2014 3:02 pm

In the second photo, the man is standing on a tulip, about 3'+ diameter.  If the first photo is indeed from Kentucky, I'd guess sycamore...but Will is probably right about it being out west.  The 1940's digital cameras really sucked.  You can't even see the rings.
bbeduhn

Has Liked: 1125 times
Has Been Liked: 476 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby Will Blozan » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:32 pm

Sycamore??? It has bark way too thick and furrowed.
Will Blozan

Print view this post

#8)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:42 pm

The bark always gives away these fake "giant local tree" photos that pop up. Of course I didn't expect to encounter one in a museum.
jamesrobertsmith

Print view this post

#9)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby Will Blozan » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:40 am

Yeah, just like the "Lead Mine white oak" in West Virginia. SOOOOO many people are fooled by this obvious faking of an eastern tree.

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=en#!topic/entstrees/YBpw06o-RSA

Will
Will Blozan

Print view this post

#10)  Re: Historical Photo From Stearns.

Postby gnmcmartin » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:01 am

Will:

The post you linked about the Leadmine tree is not the correct photo.  That is obviously not a white oak.  In another post some time ago I mentioned a photo that I saw of the leadmine tree, or so I think.  I have been unable to find it since, but I have not forgotten.  I can't be sure about the leadmine tree, but I think the reports are probably right.  I had thought I saw the picture in a book, but maybe not.  I may have seen it in one of local historical museums not far from the site.  It showed the tree after it had been split and placed on railroad cars.  It certainly looked like it could have been a white oak, and the scenery in the background looked like the local area.  I am massively frustrated that I haven't been able to find that picture again. I think if I could find it, it could be verified by the type of railroad cars/engine, and maybe someone could identify the railroad yard and find exactly from what position the photo was taken.

There have been some freakishly large white oaks, and I believe that there is still one in existence, although not as large as the Leadmine tree was reported to be.  A farmer friend of mine who's truthfulness is absolutely unquestioned, recently deceased, told me he had seen it. The owner doesn't want it revealed, because that would destroy his privacy. My friend said that someone measured it, and its diameter was suposedly greater than the Wye Oak, which has since been destroyed in a storm.

I have seen a number of these "fake" photos of giant eastern trees, but I won't dismiss them all, at least not the Leadmine tree. I can't confirm it, but I can't dismiss it either. I will continue searching for the photo I described.

--Gaines
gnmcmartin

Has Liked: 12 times
Has Been Liked: 77 times
Print view this post

Next

Return to Kentucky