Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest TrekEast John Davis

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest TrekEast John Davis

Postby edfrank » Sun May 29, 2011 10:25 pm

Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest has great scenery and big trees, where not cut. yfrog.com/gzpvcvnj yfrog.com/gyynawxj

"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest TrekEast John D

Postby jamesrobertsmith » Mon May 30, 2011 8:25 am

Kentucky is one of the few southern states where I have not been hiking. There are some places in Kentucky that I want to see, especially considering how friendly the government there is to corporate interests who don't think twice about destroying unique places. It was only after pressure from outside groups that they were able to save Kentucky's highest peak from being destroyed by a coal company wanting to expunge it from existence in a mining operation.
jamesrobertsmith

Has Liked: 525 times
Has Been Liked: 118 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Kentucky's Daniel Boone National Forest TrekEast John D

Postby Don » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:02 pm

John/Ed/JamesRobert-
Having spent five years in Kentucky working for the Dan'l Boone NF, on the Redbird District, most of my time there was off-trail.  Restoring the boundary paint (a viciously fresh blood red paint that ran over $100 a gallon, with real gold, and markers) was a cyclic thing and is kind of like the painting of the Golden Gate Bridge, where when one finishes painting to the North side, one goes back and starts on the South side.  
After a year or so of this, one develops a sense of where the boundary line was likely to be, and by looking real closely at the bark around the blazing, you could discern flecks of the original paint.
Those cyclic visits were just not frequent enough to keep the 'trails' open, unless others also walked the boundary. The conditions for vegetative growth are so good, that micro-niched disturances get replaced quite quickly.
One of my collateral duties on the RedBird Purchasing Unit (pre-cursor to the more familiar Ranger District appellation), was Volunteer Coordinator for the then recently completed Redbird Trail. I can't recommend it for finding old-growth forests, as the land the Redbird Purchase Unit was designated to rehabilitate (notice I didn't use word 'restore'), was originally owned by the Ford Motor Company and the Peabody Coal Company and managed before us for extractive resources such as wood (to fuel the furnaces that created the coke that Ford needed in it's founderies), and coal (that Peabody needed to fill it's coffers).
But there are remnants here and there, and I'm glad John found some nice sites to capture photos.  While there are a number of places with the look John captured, I'm guessing his were taken somewhere in the Red River Gorge (wonderful canoeing there!!!).  
In another month, it would be wonderful to be there!
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 70 times
Has Been Liked: 231 times
Print view this post