Yellow-poplar

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Yellow-poplar

Postby tsharp » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:29 am

ENTS:
The following link has a picture of a Yellow-poplar that is no more. It is interesting to read the  readers comments.
http://hazardkentucky.com/more/tuliptree.htm
TS
tsharp

Has Liked: 733 times
Has Been Liked: 338 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Yellow-poplar

Postby dbhguru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:05 am

Turner,

Yes, the comments are enlightening and reaffirm that rural folks are as sensitive and appreciative of Mother Nature's creations as any group. At an early time of my life I lived in that section of the country and then briefly worked there in the summers in my college days. Since then, I've visited southeastern KY only a couple of times. It is a center of incredible biological diversity. Unfortunately poverty has shaped much of the mountain culture, but poor people can appreciate nature just as much as the most urbane among us. Thanks for sending the link. The comments I read evoked both positive and negative emotions in me for obvious reasons, but in the dawn of the book that Monica and I are doing on the Blue Ridge Parkway, I am heartened to read comments favorable of big trees. Who knows, maybe there are a few unheralded, semi-big tulips in the Virginia and Carolina hollows that will make it into the book, courtesy of some of the local mountain folk.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 4 times
Has Been Liked: 1091 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Yellow-poplar

Postby edfrank » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:16 am

Turner,

Very cool link.

Ed
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 706 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

Return to Kentucky