Jack and the Corn Stalk

Discussions of current science research and issues that is being done by others as it relates to our interests.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Lucas » Thu May 04, 2017 1:58 pm

http://mobile.the-scientist.com/article/48879/record-setting-corn-grows-45-feet-tall

Jack and the Corn Stalk
Want to grow a 45 foot tall corn stalk? Here's how.

Record-Setting Corn Grows 45 Feet Tall
A plant breeder succeeds in growing a huge maize plant thanks to a known mutation and a few environmental tricks.

You may need to laser these soon. What would happen if this was done with one of the big bamboos?

"Dendrocalamus giganteus also known as Giant Bamboo or Dragon Bamboo is a giant tropical and subtropical clumping species native to Myanmar (Burma), Bhutan, China and Thailand. It is considered the tallest bamboo in the world."

Height        25 - 35 m
Diameter        15 - 30 cm
Growth Habit        Dense Clumping
Climate        Tropical - Subtropical
Hardiness        -1°C
Origin        Southeast Asia
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 121 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Bart Bouricius » Thu May 04, 2017 4:12 pm

Lucas,

Not sure this corn plant is a tree, as it may not even qualify as a woody plant.  The bamboo in question, I believe grows on the slope behind our house in Costa Rica, as many non native species have been planed there.  The speculation about making taller bamboo seems odd, as the bamboo in question already gets over 40 meters high, and I don't see how taller bamboo than this would be especially useful.  Still the story is interesting and entertaining.

Bart
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 105 times
Has Been Liked: 294 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Don » Thu May 04, 2017 5:25 pm

Bart-
Your post reminds me of urban construction of fairly large buildings during my time in Bangkok...they used bamboo extensively for scaffolding.  I don't recall if they used standard lengths, but could see where 30-40 meter high bamboo might be of value, at least for primary structural members.
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Lucas » Wed May 10, 2017 3:14 pm

Bart Bouricius wrote:Lucas,

Not sure this corn plant is a tree, as it may not even qualify as a woody plant.  The bamboo in question, I believe grows on the slope behind our house in Costa Rica, as many non native species have been planed there.  The speculation about making taller bamboo seems odd, as the bamboo in question already gets over 40 meters high, and I don't see how taller bamboo than this would be especially useful.  Still the story is interesting and entertaining.

Bart

I was being facetious and half serious since bamboo may have unusual genetic potential to reach unknown heights.
We travel the Milky way together, trees and men. - John Muir
Lucas

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 121 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Bart Bouricius » Thu May 11, 2017 9:15 pm

I was also being facetious and half serious.  several species of bamboo simply bend over and touch the ground if they reach a certain height.  I would guess that a 200' giant bamboo would also do this, thus becoming shorter than the less long 40 meter bamboo, unless it is held in a structure like the corn.  I would question whether using a structure to keep it vertical is Kosher, especially if you were measuring a champion bamboo.  Also, do you measure the clump or a blade?  What about multi stem vs. single stem?  When I return to Costa Rica in August I will post a height measurement.  One more thing, can grass be a tree?
Bart Bouricius

Has Liked: 105 times
Has Been Liked: 294 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Don » Thu May 11, 2017 9:48 pm

Grass with annual rings? We allow (collective we, as in American Forests) palm trees and Joshua trees, and they have no annual rings per se...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 65 times
Has Been Liked: 221 times
Print view this post

#7)  Re: Jack and the Corn Stalk

Postby Erik Danielsen » Fri May 12, 2017 10:51 am

Wasn't this also a point of question in discussing the giant Wax Palms? As I recall they are more properly grouped with the grasses.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 235 times
Has Been Liked: 278 times
Print view this post

Return to General Science Discussions