Crown Hill North Woods

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Matt Markworth » Wed Nov 23, 2016 10:21 pm

NTS,

I've been following the news stories about this forest and here's a short article I wrote after visiting the great trees in the Crown Hill North Woods, with a petition link and photos at the end.

https://forestreporter.com/2016/11/23/crown-hill-north-woods-last-visit/

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes - 3:
a_blooming_botanist, Bart Bouricius, bbeduhn
Matt Markworth

Has Liked: 1060 times
Has Been Liked: 811 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Matt Markworth » Sat Dec 03, 2016 4:32 pm

NTS,

Here's a ~9 minute walk through with some of the most significant trees at the Crown Hill North Woods. Switch the setting to 1080p for the best quality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpjElrUOiz4

Matt

For this message the author Matt Markworth has received Likes :
a_blooming_botanist
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#3)  Re: Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Erik Danielsen » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:43 pm

Is that white oak really just 13'8"? It looks even bigger with you in the photo. If that's the case I'd love to see a scale shot with the bur oak.
Erik Danielsen

Has Liked: 226 times
Has Been Liked: 276 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Matt Markworth » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:17 pm

Erik,

It's interesting that you mention that because I actually thought the same thing when I measured the white oak as 13.8', and also when I saw the photo. It may have a slight oval shape to it, or it's possible I'm not standing in the middle of tree. For the sake of perspective, I usually try to stand halfway between the front and the back of the tree (from the camera's angle), but maybe I'm slightly farther back.

Here's a photo of the 14.6' bur oak with me in it for scale. I didn't put this one into the article because I thought the photo looking up the tree showed much more of the character of the tree.

I'm not sure why certain trees have ribbons tied around them. They could be marked as trees not to cut as part of the VA plan or they may have been placed by locals.

Crown Hill North Woods bur oak.JPG

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

#5)  Re: Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Rand » Sat Dec 10, 2016 5:09 pm

I see this woods has the honeysuckle disease as well.  that stuff has taken over all the riparian corridors in Columbus.
Rand

Has Liked: 252 times
Has Been Liked: 365 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Crown Hill North Woods

Postby Matt Markworth » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:54 pm

NTS,

Some of you have also been following this story, but just wanted to provide a brief update on Crown Hill North Woods. In November a trust offered to purchase the land from the VA for a negotiable price, which I haven't read resulted in any deal being considered. In December a judge blocked an injunction which cleared the way for the VA to move forward. I've heard recently that heavy machinery is on site in preparation. I have a timeline of events/headlines listed out on this page: https://forestreporter.com/2016/12/09/crown-hill-north-woods-indiana/

Yesterday I received an email from the Office of Indianapolis Mayor Joe Hogsett, and I've included the quote below which can also be found in various news sources. It's quite a positive statement and we'll see if it holds any sway.

The following statement can be attributed to Mayor Joe Hogsett, as he calls on the Veterans Administration to halt plans to clear woods and pursue an alternative that honors veterans while preserving our natural heritage:

“Crown Hill North Woods is Indianapolis' largest old growth forest.   It is a place of tremendous diversity and uniqueness. So treasured are these Woods that the Indianapolis Parks Foundation sought to buy them in 2005 and the Indiana State Government tried again in 2007.    An outpouring of opposition from the community prevented these Woods from being developed in 2008.   Distinguished voices in the community, have called, of late, for the Crown Hill North Woods to be forever preserved.

At the same time, the mission of the Veterans Administration/National Cemetery Administration’s Urban Initiative project is to provide burial options for veterans in urban areas.   Indianapolis was chosen as one of only five cities nationwide to be the site of a columbarium.   The VA chose Crown Hill Cemetery, for this proposed columbarium.

The VA’s specific location within Crown Hill Cemetery is one of Indianapolis’ crown jewels -- the Crown Hill North Woods itself.  There are plans by the VA to begin developing this site, which would irreversibly damage the integrity of the North Woods as an old growth forest ecosystem.  There are, however, development-ready alternatives at Crown Hill itself and at other safe, secure, and dignified locations in Indianapolis.

It is true that I have been receiving an outpouring of calls and messages from people in Indianapolis who are alarmed about the danger facing the Crown Hill North Woods.  They are clearly people representing a diversity of voices -- neighbors around the Woods, veterans, conservationists, and people who want to protect a natural heritage that could be forever lost.  It is clear that these Woods provide a safe space for kids in the neighborhood, a land that sustains property values for nearby communities, and an area that absorbs air pollution, stormwater, & traffic noise.

I feel a deep sense of responsibility to be responsive to the public's alarm about the future of the Woods.   As such, I am calling upon the Department of Veterans Affairs to halt their efforts to develop the site.  My dream would be for these Woods to become part of the City's park system -- one that is an enduring monument to our fallen heroes and one that preserves sacred ground that has been undisturbed for hundreds of years.

Let us work together to achieve a lasting solution for our community that honors our veterans and preserves the irreplaceable Crown Hill North Woods as a crown jewel of our city's natural heritage.   This seems fitting and worthy as we head into our 200th Anniversary as a City.”

Matt
Matt Markworth

Print view this post

Return to Indiana