American Forests Summer 2016

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  American Forests Summer 2016

Postby Iowa Big Tree Guy » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:04 pm

Bob,

I read with great interest a particular article in the American Forests magazine that I received today. The article is titled,"Big Tree Hunting Colorado: A Case For The Numbers". Congratulations on the article, it is outstanding! You did a great job of covering the story of the involvement of members of the NTS in documenting the tallest known trees in southwest Colorado. This article should get the attention of many readers. I think it will be especially interesting to the people who already know a something about trees in that part of the country. They will undoubtedly be very surprised to learn just how tall the trees can get in Colorado!

Thanks to you, Matt, and Larry for the great accompanying photographs as well!

Mark

For this message the author Iowa Big Tree Guy has received Likes - 2:
Larry Tucei, pattyjenkins1
Iowa Big Tree Guy

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 55 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: American Forests Summer 2016

Postby dbhguru » Sat Jun 04, 2016 10:36 pm

Mark,

Thanks. What are you finding out in the Mid-west these days?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1061 times
Print view this post

#3)  Re: American Forests Summer 2016

Postby Joe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:38 am

On page 8 of that magazine- they show a multi stem scotch pine which is said to have a circumference of 181". I notice the many discussions in this BBS about multi stem trees- so, did whoever measure it- do it up to current NTS standards?

Joe
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: American Forests Summer 2016

Postby dbhguru » Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:40 am

Joe,

The scotch pine isn't up to NTS standards, nor those of American Forests under the new guidelines (produced by Don Bertolette and me). However, the ghosts of mis-measured trees past continue to hang around. It is a touchy issue. Lots of the multi-stem trees in the Register are the work of big tree hunters who have been extremely productive. They have kept some of the state programs going. American Forests does not want to totally alienate these dedicated tree hunters so we are moving slowly.In time, the multis will be dealt with. Also, the producers of the magazine are not always in sync with where the big tree program is going. They have a bit of catching up to do.

On May 31st, I held a tree-measuring workshop at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville. It was well attended and the state looks to revitalize its big tree program. We discussed the multi-stem issue and are basically in agreement, so progress continues to be made, but issues will remain especially for those species that tend to coppice naturally.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder and Executive Director
Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
dbhguru

Has Liked: 3 times
Has Been Liked: 1061 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: American Forests Summer 2016

Postby Joe » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:31 am

Bob, it's great that with NTS, tree measuring is finally becoming a science. At least for heights and diameters. Now, if only there was a fast, efficient method to determine the total volume of a tree and it's mass. Both variables would valuable to know. I believe the late Gary Beluzo was thinking about this - and maybe developing some techniques, though I'm not sure about that.
Joe
Joe

Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: American Forests Summer 2016

Postby Larry Tucei » Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:39 am

Mark-  Thanks for sharing the AF Issue. I downloaded it to read the article. Bob- Fantastic write up of our adventures in the San Juan's. It was such a privilege to be part of the team that made so many discoveries. Larry
Larry Tucei

Has Liked: 660 times
Has Been Liked: 573 times
Print view this post

Return to Illinois