White Pine Scenic Byway

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

ElijahW

White Pine Scenic Byway

Post by ElijahW » Wed Sep 23, 2020 10:42 pm

NTS,

Returning from a trip to Washington last week, I was on the hunt for some good examples of Idaho Western White Pines. Being short on both time and energy, I opted to take a drive south from the Coeur d’Alene area through some beautiful country to Moscow, Idaho, via the White Pine Scenic Byway (ID-3 & ID-6). The majority of the route was very nice farmland dotted with ponds and streams, but I could count the number of mature White Pines on one hand. The clear cuts on the hills of St. Joe National Forest were less than appealing. I was hoping to at least see some kind of natural, mature forest before I ran out of Byway.

At the southern end of Benewah County, just before ID-6 enters Latah County, I ran into just what I had been looking for. A handful of tall White Pines lined the side of the road, emergent among some very impressive Grand Firs and Western Redcedars. Parking in a pullout at the county line, I commenced the measuring.

Here’s what I found:

Grand Fir Abies grandis

176.1’
162.5’
148.9’

Western White Pine Pinus monticola

214.3’ x 13.88’
189.0’ x 12.44’

Rocky Mountain Douglas-fir Pseudotsuga menziesii var. glauca

169.4’

Western Redcedar Thuja plicata

156.7’

None of these trees appeared to be very old, but I don’t have an age estimate, being unfamiliar with the growth rates of the species. I know many of the giant Western White Pines are gone, and really don’t have a good idea of where these trees stand as far as size goes. I’ll need some help with that part of the story. In the meantime, I thought I’d share my experience. I have a couple of photos, which hopefully I’ll add soon.

Elijah

tsharp

Re: White Pine Scenic Byway

Post by tsharp » Thu Sep 24, 2020 1:31 pm

Elijah:
Nice heights on those four species, especially the Western White Pine.

ElijahW

Re: White Pine Scenic Byway

Post by ElijahW » Thu Sep 24, 2020 3:50 pm

NTS, Turner,

Thanks. Here's a photo I took of the two tall White Pines (214' Pine on the left; 189' Pine on the right):
Western White Pines
Western White Pines
Elijah

Return to “Idaho”