Ponderosa State Park

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tsharp

Ponderosa State Park

Post by tsharp » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:23 pm

NTS:
I paid a visit to Ponderosa State Park in McCall, Idaho on 7/19/2018. The largest of two species measured were as follows:

Ponderosa Pine (Pinus ponderosa var. ponderosa) 10.8' x 174.1', 12.2' x 161.6'
Douglas-fir (Psuedotsuga menziesii var. glauca) 11.3' x 154.2'

McCall has become a tourist town featuring boating and hiking in the summer and winter sports in the cold weather. Much of the state park is on a thousand acre peninsular that extends into Payette Lake and is quite picturesque. The park was established in 1905 and timber cutting along the lake prohibited in 1918. I did not determine how far from the lake edge the timbering prohibition extended.
The University of Idaho has its Field Campus adjacent to the camping area and also contains plenty of old impressive trees. This campus was a summer school and training site for new foresters studying at the university.

I camped here back in 2011 and failed to get the height of a 174" girth tree in a campground. I did not find that tree on this visit so I just picked an average looking area in the campground area and measured six trees in about 3 acres.
Elevation at the site 5000'.

Click on image to see its original size

12.2' x 161.6'

mdvaden

Re: Ponderosa State Park

Post by mdvaden » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:31 am

Enjoyed the post. And McCall was the town in one winter that inspired me to move back to Oregon. I was in Boise and went up there with friends and it was darn cold that late autumn day. So that one is over 12 feet diameter you say?

That sounds like a new Champion ?

If that's the case, that's 620 points not even counting 1/4 crown points. And it would surpass both the largest Sugar Pine and Ponderosa Pine currently listed on American Forests big tree registry. At least according to their website.
Last edited by mdvaden on Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
M. D. Vaden of Oregon = http://www.mdvaden.com

200 Pages - Coast Redwoods - http://www.mdvaden.com/grove_of_titans.shtml

Portraits & Weddings - http://www.vadenphotography.com

dbhguru

Post by dbhguru » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:58 am

Mario,

Turner's measurements are girths, i.e. circumferences, as opposed to diameters. The 12.2' is a girth. That's the source of the misunderstanding.

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:56 am

Turner- Anytime you find a Ponderosa over 150' that is special. Congrats Niiice! Larry

sjhalow

Post by sjhalow » Thu Aug 16, 2018 9:18 pm

Turner,
Very nice trees. I was in Idaho in late June. Spent 2 weeks in Moscow Idaho, about an hour south of Cour D Elaine. Idaho is a beautiful state. A lot of great trees there too. I visited a couple of old growth sites while out there, I hope to get around to posting a report on them soon.

M.W.Taylor
Site Admin

Post by M.W.Taylor » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:56 pm

I almost fell out of my seat when I saw the 12' diameter ponderosa measurement. I see that is a cbh though.

Return to “Idaho”