Can someone help me ID this plant I found at Spirit Creek State Forest

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

samson'sseed

Can someone help me ID this plant I found at Spirit Creek State Forest

Post by samson'sseed » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:24 pm

I visited Spirit Creek State Forest this morning in Richmond County, Georgia. It formerly was farmland used to feed Grace Hospital and School and was later rented as cow pastureland. The state bought it and converted it into a managed forest and wildlife management area. The woods are dominated by loblolly pine and shortleaf pine. Supposedly, there is longleaf pine here, but I didn't see any. Black cherry and a non-native cherry are by far the most common hardwoods. There are also a few sweetgums. The only oaks were overcup oak saplings. Surprisingly, I did find 1 nice sourwood tree. I'm sure this landscape is completely transformed from the original forest which was probably old growth oak and hickory.

I did find 1 plant I could not identify. Anybody know what this is? I keep getting an invalid message when I try to post the photo here, so instead I'm posting a link to my twitter page with the photo of it. https://twitter.com/MSGelbart1/status/1246517771145482241

samson'sseed

Re: Can someone help me ID this plant I found at Spirit Creek State Forest

Post by samson'sseed » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:25 pm

You'll have to cut and past the link to your browser. I don't know why that won't work directly either.

Erik Danielsen

Post by Erik Danielsen » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:54 am

Looks like the basal rosette of a Nicotiana species.

samson'sseed

Post by samson'sseed » Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:28 pm

Thanks for the identification help.

Return to “Georgia”