New Florida Loblolly Pine challenger

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

addy

New Florida Loblolly Pine challenger

Post by addy » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:54 pm

New Florida Pinus taeda challenger:

http://championtrees.freshfromflorida.c ... etail/1185

I shot it with a Nikon Forestry Pro at 116' in height. The State DOF got 111', no idea what gear they typically use, likely it varies depending on the Forestry office they're coming from. LiDAR canopy map I made shows it a 113'. I'm surprised at how well these heights agree, especially since the LiDAR data is 14 years old.
1589trunk.jpg
1589OverallForm.jpg
I'm sure there's larger ones up and down the seepage slough this tree is on the perimeter of. This tree is easily picked out from the road and was known to locals.

Larry Tucei

Re: New Florida Loblolly Pine challenger

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:23 pm

Did you measure the circumference? Typically a Loblolly this short is less than 3' Dia. and approx. 75 years depends on the environment it's growing in. This tree was left when they last logged most likely in the 50's. Larry

addy

Post by addy » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:27 pm

12.8' CBH was my measurement, 13' CBH was the DOF's. The site is a sandhill seepage slope, which is an acidic wetland that is almost constantly saturated but rarely inundated, formed where sandy highlands rapidly drop off and sponge out a constant supply of water. Likely there is some buildup of peat in the substrate as well.

The logging history of this exact spot is a bit more uncertain. This system feeds into the Ocklawaha River some 10 miles to the west. This river's floodplain was logged for cypress by pull boats stationed in the river, areas of it were likely high graded for other hardwoods later. However this river's swamps are more intact and older looking than others in the area. This is in part due to the pull boat method being less destructive than the overhead skid and rail that laid waste to much of the surrounding basin swamps. But it may also be due to less logging for other hardwoods and pines. This tree does not appear to be in or directly adjacent to any existing or defunct pine plantations and from what I understand the narrow seepage wetland systems were not extensively logged since the primary species are of little commercial value. This tree is also near the head of the seepage system, too far back to be easily skidded to the river. I think it possible this tree could represent an older stand. Hurricanes may also slightly limit height in this area as well. I'll have to go back and visit it but it looks like about a fourth of the way down the main trunk may have been broken off some time ago.

There's so many more similar but less accessible highly promising tree hunting areas around there. There's also a number of very nice live oaks in the floodplain swamps along the Ocklawaha River.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:53 am

That is a larger and older tree most likely 75-100 years old. Anytime you find a Loblolly that is 4' Dia or larger it's rare anymore. Before logging 5-6' Dia was common and 8' was rare. Remember they grow rapidly. Congratulations I've only measured less than a Dozen Loblollies with a Cir. this size in the hundreds I've done. Larry

Return to “Florida”