Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

aniftychic

Re: Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Post by aniftychic » Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:32 am

Just to let you know yesterday the top of my oak came crashing down. It was water logged. We have had about 6" of rain in the last two days. I will post some pics soon. My husband is going to clean it up this weekend and I will count the rings if possible.

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:36 am

Sorry to hear about your tree. It must have had a split or hollow area at the point of break? I hope it just hit the ground and not your house. The ring count will be interesting. Most Live Oaks that I've done have a fast growth rate, avg. radial rates between .25-.50" per year. I have seen some as small as .125 and as large as .75". Growth rates depend on many factors. In an upper limb the rates will different that at the trunk. Larry

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:31 am

Aniftychic!

I haven't see you on ENTS in a while. Welcome back!
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Fri Aug 26, 2011 9:11 pm

Hello,

Nice to hear from you again. I am curious about the number of rings in the top of the oak, if it is not decayed too badly. Looking forward to your photos.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Return to “Florida”