Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

aniftychic

Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Post by aniftychic » Wed May 12, 2010 12:22 pm

I have a huge live oak tree in my yard and was wondering how to get it aged? I tried to upload pictures but for some reason it did not work. If someone is interested in looking at the pictures to give me an estimate my email address is erichurley@bellsouth.net.

Thanks

dbhguru

Re: Oak Tree

Post by dbhguru » Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

Hi Aniftychic,

The person to communicate with on live oaks is Larry Tucei Jr. Larry roams the deep South measuring and documenting that noble species. In terms of aging the species,if it is a very large tree, that could be a problem. How large is its circumference at 4.5 feet above its base?

Bob
Robert T. Leverett
Co-founder, Native Native Tree Society
Co-founder and President
Friends of Mohawk Trail State Forest
Co-founder, National Cadre

edfrank

Re: Live Oak Tree, FL

Post by edfrank » Wed May 12, 2010 2:19 pm

Hello,

Welcome to the ENTS BBS. The problem with uploading photos is that you are a NEW USER. New users can only post to the New Users forum or their posts will go nto a moderation queu. New users can't post images until they have posted forst to the New Users forum or had their first posts approved.

Where are you located in Florida? I am sorry but it is extremely difficult to age Live Oak trees. Most of teh published ages are extremely inaccurate over estimates. We are hoping to get some good ages from a large limb cut from theMiddleton oak in SC, but even that will not do you much good. The problem is that the wood is so dense and the the trees are so fat that a core borer will not cut into the tree most of the time without twisting off, and that a long corer would cost several thousand dollars. The wood is so hard it is difficult to even cut them with a chainsaw once they are downed.

A short section on the outer portion of the tree doesn't tell you much because the growth rate is so variable that th tree could be several times younger or older than the age determined by projecting from the width of the outer rings. So ther ereally isn't any way to tell how old your tree might be.

As for trees of similar size, they have not beensampled by the dendrochronological community becaue of how difficult they are to sample. Published ages on some oaks in tourist brochures suggest ages as much as 1500 years. It is more likely however that the largest and oldest of the oaks are more like 500 years old. A 4' 4" diameter live oak knocked down by Hurrican Katrina had only 196 rings. Beyond that there is basically no accurate information available for the ages of these trees. http://www.nativetreesociety.org/fieldt ... k_ages.htm

We have documented and accurately measured many large live oaks, http://www.nativetreesociety.org/projec ... iveoak.htm
http://www.ents-bbs.org/viewforum.php?f=9
Some of them are in Florida.

I would be interested in seeing photos of your tree and with a location, maybe we could get some accurate measurements of height, crown spread, and girth. But age is something nobody can really help you with at this time.

Ed Frank
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

aniftychic

Re: Live Oak Tree

Post by aniftychic » Thu May 13, 2010 7:19 am

I did a rough measurement and it came to be 16 feet. It is very tall. All the oaks around me are very tall. Thanks

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Thu May 13, 2010 7:44 am

ENTS,

I recieved and individual message from the original poster that included some photos of the oaks tree.
Thank you very much. I am so interested about the trees around me. They are so diverse. They are all so mature too. I wish I new the history behind why there is such a variety of trees in my yard and around me. There are live oaks, mulberry, sour orange trees, hickory trees, just to name a few. I have attached some pictures of my live oak. I did a rough measurement of the trunk with a rope and it was approximately 16 feet. I can't even tell you how tall it is. In the picture you can get an idea from the palm trees. There are many other big live oaks in my neighbors yards. If you are interested in seeing any pictures of my other trees let me know. Let me know what you think. Thank you again.
IMG_0847a.JPG
IMG_0849a.JPG
IMG_0850a.JPG
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

James Parton

Post by James Parton » Thu May 13, 2010 9:35 am

They are beautiful, draped in Spanish moss as Live Oaks often are.

James
James E Parton
Ovate Course Graduate - Druid Student
Bardic Mentor
New Order of Druids

http://www.druidcircle.org/nod/index.ph ... Itemid=145

Larry Tucei

Post by Larry Tucei » Sat May 15, 2010 8:26 am

Aniftychic, Looking at your photo and based on the Live Oaks I've been measuring over the last few years. I would estimate your tree to 100-150 years. As Ed has posted there isn't much accurate aging on record. Live Oak trees can grow much faster that people believe. The Live Oak can grow to 80' in height and your tree is tall propably due to competition with other trees around it when it was younger. They tend to grow much wider given space. In a Forest setting they grow tall looking for light just like all the other trees. Hope this helps answer your question. Where in Florida are you? Larry :)

aniftychic

Post by aniftychic » Thu May 27, 2010 7:53 am

I live in Christmas Florida. It is a small town between Titusville and Orlando. It is a good place to live because you are close to the attractions and can watch the shuttle from your yard. There are many oaks out here and lots of undeveloped area to explore. There is one oak I want to stop and measure it is pretty big on Ft. Chistmas Rd.

Kapn.K

Re: Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Post by Kapn.K » Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:39 am

Christmas? We're practically neighbors. I live in Titusville.

Will Blozan

Re: Live Oak Tree, Christmas, FL

Post by Will Blozan » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:15 pm

Hey,

You both are in prime sand pine country! I found a new National Champion on a relatively visit to Saint Cloud, FL. Titusville has some fine groves that have not yet been documented. Sand pine is probably one of the least measured species in ENTS. I know, they are not huge and magestic like live oak but...

Will

Return to “Florida”