June Trip to Key West

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

edfrank

June Trip to Key West

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 24, 2015 6:49 pm

NTS,

I will be in Key West during the first week in June and can measure the two national champions that are in the Key West Tropical Forest & Botanical Garden. These may be former champions – but in any case I can remeasure them, as well as some that are supposedly the Florida co-champs or runners up. One of them Locust-berry (Byrsonima lucida) is still listed as champion. The second one - Wild Dilly (Manilkara bahamensis) is not listed in the current National Register at all, even though it is a native species in the Keys. There also are several species that are exotic and not eligible for inclusion on the register. Royal Poinciana (Delonix regia) - Honorable Mention to the champion in Florida – this is a non-native species that has become naturalized in the tropics but still appears in the national register. One species whose range is questionable is Guaiacum officinale, commonly known as Roughbark Lignum-vitae, Guaiacwood or Gaïacwood is native to the Caribbean and I believe the Bahamas and could be native to Key West is the Florida champion, but does not appear in the National Register. Other species listed in the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_West_T ... cal_Garden include: Black Olive (Bucida buceras) - Florida Challenger to the national champion champion from Florida. Pongam (Pongamia pinnata) - Florida Challenger to the national champion from Florida.

Edward Frank

http://www.keywestbotanicalgarden.org/
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Rand

Re: June Trip to Key West

Post by Rand » Tue Feb 24, 2015 9:19 pm

Considering how miserable this february has been, I'm surprise you're not going Right Now.

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Tue Feb 24, 2015 11:14 pm

I need to finish fixing up my bus and it is too cold to work on it.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky

Joe

Post by Joe » Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:11 am

Ed, I went there once in the early '70s and was looking for any interesting ecological sites- but it seemed that the entire island was developed. Too bad I missed the Key West Tropical Forest & Botanical Garden.

But I did see Audubon's house where you can see some of the original work. (the so called elephant portfolios)
Joe

edfrank

Post by edfrank » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:40 pm

It is funny you say that Joe. I will be travelling in a 30 foot bus converted to an RV. I wanted to just run down after a morning glass bottom boat ride in the upper keys and visit a few sites and head back to John Pennekamp State Park on Key Largo for the night. But there isn't anyplace there I can park the thing while looking around. It turns out my best bet is to get a site at Boyd's Key West Campground and spend the night there. So I will be spending more time in Key West, and this provides me with an opportunity to spend a couple hours touring the garden and measuring a few things. It is a little steep in price, but not horrendous considering the camping fee compared to the combination of parking fees and camping somewhere else for the night.

Ed

Don

Post by Don » Wed Feb 25, 2015 6:17 pm

Ed-
What an interesting and ambitious undertaking you have ahead!
It recalls my time in Florida as Hotshot Firefighter, on a training detail from Asheville, NC. Botanically it was a very different world, and much of the vegetation there I had little time to identify. I suspect your RV/bus will have a well-stocked botanical/natural history bookshelf?
-Don
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org

Rand

Post by Rand » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:01 pm

edfrank wrote:I need to finish fixing up my bus and it is too cold to work on it.
'Tis a real pity, because the weather forecast for this weekend isn't exactly looking up:
Jadis.png

Return to “Florida”