2 amazing Southern Live Oaks in Florida

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

tclikesbigtrees

2 amazing Southern Live Oaks in Florida

Post by tclikesbigtrees » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:24 am

Has anyone seen these 2 Southern Live oaks. The first one is in Lake Griffin State park. We were able to check it out up close and personal. It has to be one of the most amazing trees that I have been able to get close to. The second is the Cellon Oak in its own little park. Three weeks before we were there in August, it had been struck by lightning. Unfortunately, the park was closed for that reason. We were able to see the tree from the parking area though. We were not able to get close like we were with the other tree. But at least we could see it.
Cellon Oak
Cellon Oak
Cellon Oak
Cellon Oak
Lake Griffin State Park
Lake Griffin State Park
Lake Griffin State Park
Lake Griffin State Park

Larry Tucei

Re: 2 amazing Southern Live Oaks in Florida

Post by Larry Tucei » Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:02 pm

I've read about the Cellon Oak and seen photos of it before. It is a very impressive tree and I have it on my list of Live Oaks to measure. The Lake Griffin Live Oak is also a very large tree and thanks for sharing your photos of these two beautiful Live Oaks. Larry----- Florida Co-Champion Live Oak
(Quercus virginiana var. virginiana)

The Cellon Live Oak was named for its former owner, Ralph W. Cellon, and now sits in Cellon Oak Park, Owned by Alachua County, three miles south of LaCrosse, Florida.

Circumference = 360 inches (30 feet)
Height = 85 feet
Average crown spread = 160 feet

bbeduhn

Re: 2 amazing Southern Live Oaks in Florida

Post by bbeduhn » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:21 am

Larry,
It looks like the Cellon Oak could use an accurate measurement. It looks closer to 70' and a bit less than 160'. What an impressive bole! It looks like a double but like many live oaks things aren't always as they appear. Closer examination of that seam is in order.

Return to “Florida”